Drew Rangers Hang on to Edge Wellesley

Drew women's lacrosse led by four goals with five minutes remaining, but had to sweat out the final minutes of play in a 12-11 win over Wellesley. The visiting Blue Pride scored three unanswered goals and had possession with fewer than ten seconds remaining to put a scare in the Rangers. Lyndsay Rossi and Cara Jeffries each scored three goals for Drew, while Meredith Roy had four for the Blue Pride. Sloane Coles (left) had two goals and three ground balls in the win.

The Rangers took nearly 15 minutes before getting on the board and trailed 2-0 by the time. It could have been worse had Stef Rutkowski not made a point blank save on Brianna Roberge in the 15th minute to keep it that close. Cara Jeffries scored on the Rangers' next possession following the save. The sophomore made a move at the eight meter circle to get past her defender before finishing high and hard with a lefty shot.

It took just two minutes for the Rangers to score again as Lyndsay Rossi netted from a free position attempt to tie it at 2-2 with 13 minutes remaining. Jeffries gave the Rangers the lead at the 11:39. Samantha Silver made it 4-2 with a nice roll back move and lefty finish near the crease. The Blue Pride scored immediately after the draw, but Stacie Brown countered with a Free Position goal at 7:40.

Jenny Holland brought the guests back to within one at 5-4 with a free position goal at 5:03. It was Sloane Coles who next scored on a free position attempt - tucked into the left side of the net, knee high for a 6-4 Drew lead. Rebecca Schild gave the Rangers a three goal lead with 49 seconds left in the half by ripping home from an FPS, but the Rangers, as they have done too many times this season, gave up a late goal, this time with ten seconds left. Loretta White scored to make it 7-5 at the break.

The Pride started the second half with a goal by Kate Cushing just under two minutes into the period. Coles helped the Rangers regain a two goal lead by beating her defender to the right and firing home inside the far post. Drew would give away that two goal lead as Caitlin Meeker and then Meredith Roy scored in the next ten minutes to tie it at 8-8.

The Rangers seemed to put the game away by going on the game's biggest run. They scored the next four goals over a nine minute period for a 12-8 lead. Jeffries quickly after Elizabeth Law controlled the draw at the 14 minute mark and Rossi added her second on an eight meter shot with under 12 left.

Drew's two best worked goals came next as Stacie Brown picked out Rossi cutting to the goal for the Rangers' 11th tally and with just over five minutes left Brook Connell led Schild into the center where Schild made a nice catch then fired past the Pride keeper for Drew's 12.

The Rangers fell asleep after gaining the four goal lead and let Wellesley pull three back. First, Meredith Roy caused a turnover, grabbed the ground ball then fed Meeker for a 12-9 score with four minutes left. Immediately after the ensuing draw, Roy scored unassisted for 12-10.

Rachel Hanley, in goal for the Rangers, made two critical saves around the two minute mark on back-to-back shot by Elizabeth Hays to preserve the lead. After Molly Morrow hit the post at 1:50, she was able to get past Hanley with 1:19 left to bring it to a one goal game.

The Pride won the next draw and again Morrow hit the post. After some confusion, Hanley came up with the loose ball and Drew attempted to clear. Roy caused another turnover and the Pride had a breakaway towards the Ranger goal with just ten seconds remaining. Lyndsay Rossi got in good defensive position to help cause a mistake from the Wellesley attacker and Law was first to the ground ball with just six seconds left. Law was able to run out the clock on a tough Drew victory.

The Rangers don't have much time to recover as they return to Ranger Stadium to face Muhlenberg at 7:00 pm Wednesday night.


Create a free lacrosse website