Michigan Win in Semi Sets up Title Rematch with #3 Chapman

Denver, CO. –The #1 seeded University of Michigan Men's Lacrosse team earned a 17-7 win over the #5 seed University of Colorado on Friday night (May 15) in Denver, Colorado at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in the MCLA National Championship Tournament semifinals. In the process the Wolverines advanced to the finals on Saturday night at 7:00pm MST where they will square off against the #3 seed Chapman University in a rematch of last season's MCLA National Championship.

The Wolverines used a balance attack and dominated possession Friday night in a game that saw the Maize and Blue out-shoot their opponent by almost a three to one margin. The Wolverines led 8-4 at the half, and exploded out of the gates in the third quarter, rattling off five straight goals to pull away early.

Sophomore attackman Trevor Yealy (Pittsburgh, Penn./Upper St. Claire) got the Wolverines on the board first scooping up a loose ball in front and quickly firing for the early lead 1:34 into the game. Junior attackman Clark McIntyre (Little Silver, N.J./Rumson – Fair Haven) extended the Michigan lead under a minute later, finishing a feed from behind the cage from senior attackman Aaron Hodari (Bloomfield, Mich./Detroit Country Day).

Following a Colorado goal that cut the lead to 2-1 at the 11:06 mark, senior Anthony Hrusovsky (Lake Forest, Ill./Lake Forest) helped U-M regain the two-goal lead on a long shot from the right wing just over a minute later.

Colorado responded at the 8:24 mark to trim the lead to one, but Michigan was quick to slow any Buffalo momentum, as senior captain Riley Kearns (Bloomfield Hills, Mich./Brother Rice) took a feed from Hrusovsky and fired from the left wing over the goaltender's right shoulder. Junior captain David Rogers (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Hills) made it 5-2 on a dodge and fire from the right wing at the 6:29 mark.

Colorado answered just over two minutes later on a long shot from the right wing at the, but the Wolverines responded with another Kearns' goal, this time on a wrap-around dodge from the left side to close out the first-quarter scoring.

The Buffalos scored first in the second quarter at the 13:27 mark but both teams' offenses fell silent after that. After multiple possessions for both squads and eight minutes of play, Kearns added his third of the game at the five-minute mark, picking up a ground ball following his own shot and dodging again from behind the cage. Kearns fired from just above the GLE for the 7-4 lead mid-way through the second.

Kearns was on the other end of the next Wolverine tally, feeding junior midfielder Jordan Kirshner (Ann Arbor, Mich./Pioneer) right out front with only five seconds left in the half as the Maize and Blue took a 8-4 lead and momentum into the half-time break.

Michigan got on the board first in the third quarter, just 35 seconds in the half, as senior midfielder Peter Vasher (Ann Arbor, Mich.) dodged down the middle and fired high for the 9-5 lead. Michigan kept rolling as junior midfielder Svet Tintchev (Rockville, Md./Bullis) blasted one from the top of the zone following a Kearns feed, followed by McIntyre's second of the game on a hard shot from 15 yards out.

Just over two minutes later, junior midfielder Michael Bartomioli (Pleasantville, N.Y./Pleasantville) scored on a transition tally after taking a feed from sophomore defenseman Harry Freid (Needham, Mass./Needham) as Michigan extended the lead to 12-4 with the solid third-quarter start. The barrage continued as Yealy shoveled in a loose ball from just outside the crease following an initial shot on the man-up with 6:07 left in the third.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website