Drexel Rallies Past Bucknell for Victory

LEWISBURG, Pa. The injury-depleted Bucknell women's lacrosse team put up a valiant fight against a very good Drexel team on Sunday at Graham Field, but the Dragons ended the game on a 7-1 run to steal a 13-11 victory. Chelsea Peters (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) led Bucknell with three goals, while Ryan Wenk (Manhasset, N.Y./Manhasset) logged two goals and two assists.

Becca Drylie-Perkins and Charlotte Wood scored four times apiece for Drexel, which is now 6-1 on the season with its lone loss coming to No. 3 Penn. Becca Devine (Arlington, Va./St. Stephen's & St. Agnes), Michelle Milot (Basking Ridge, N.J./Ridge) and Julia Braun (Tomkins Cove, N.Y./North Rockland) all scored two goals for Bucknell, now 1-5.

The Bison are still playing without one of its all-time leading scorers in Carol Donohue, who was injured in the preseason, as well as starting defender Ashley St. John, who sat out after suffering an injury in the Columbia game on Wednesday. Lining up with only three healthy substitutes, Bucknell jumped out to a great start against Drexel, scoring the first four goals of the game en route to a 7-4 halftime lead.

Peters got things started with a score on an 8-meter attempt 4:54 into the game. Just 58 seconds later Laura Van Schaack (Winnetka, Ill./New Trier) made a slick pass in front to Devine for a 2-0 lead. Less than three minutes after that, Wenk had the ball checked from her stick behind the net, but she picked up the loose ball and beat two defenders to the goal to make it 3-0.

Bucknell's prettiest goal of the day came next, as midfielder Allie Mongan (Malvern, Pa./Villa Maria Academy) made a nice defensive play in her own end to take the ball away from a Drexel player, then she sprinted 50 yards downfield before floating a perfect lead pass ahead to Devine for a layup and a 4-0 lead.

Drexel finally got on the board with 17:32 remaining in the half on a Drylie-Perkins goal. Later in the half the Dragons cut the lead to 5-3, but the Bison restored their four-goal cushion on consecutive goals by Wenk and Milot. Wenk scored on a free-position shot, while Milot batted in a pass from Wenk from behind the cage.

Drylie-Perkins scored her third goal of the opening half with 2:36 left to make it 7-4 at the half.

Milot's 8-meter goal started the second-half scoring, and the two teams traded goals for the first eight minutes. Braun's quick-stick goal off a Devine feed put the Bison ahead 10-6 with 23:03 to play, but Bucknell seemed to run out of legs as the second half wore on.

Katie Lawson, who came in with 22 goals but had been shut out to that point, ignited a 5-0 Drexel run with an unassisted tally with 22:11 left. Lindsay Kovar made it 10-8, then back-to-back goals by Wood just 23 seconds apart tied the game at 10-apiece.

With 11:35 remaining Kelli Joran gave the Dragons their first lead of the day, but Bucknell held strong and kept the deficit at one. That proved big when Braun drew a foul inside the 8-meter arc with 3:18 to play, and she buried the free-position attempt to tie the game at 11-11.

Bucknell won the draw but quickly turned it over. Alyssa DeLorenz (Garland, Texas/Plano East), who had a strong day with 14 saves, made a tough stop on Lawson's free-position try. Kendall Thibeault (Fallston, Md./St. Paul's) gobbled up the ground ball and passed back to DeLorenz in the crease. DeLorenz tried to lob a pass over the head of Joran, but the Dragon rider reached up to intercept the pass, then she found Lawson wide open in the slot for the go-ahead goal with 2:12 to play.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website