No. 3 Simon Fraser Upended by No. 11 Colorado

BOULDER, CO -- No. 3 Simon Fraser (1-2, 0-0 PNCLL) once again struggled in transition and was unable to bounce back from a slow start, losing 17-7 to No. 11 Colorado (1-1, 0-0 RMLC) on Sunday, March 7. SFU's second consecutive loss concluded a disappointing 0-2 out-of-conference road trip for the Clan, moving their 2010 regular season record to 1-2.

Attackmen Adam Foss (Cochrane, AB / Cochrane High School), Chris Tessarolo (New Westminster, BC / New Westminster Secondary) and Ben Towner (Port Coquitlam, BC / Terry Fox Secondary) each scored 2 goals to lead Fraser in the loss, while freshmen midfield Eric Ransom (Sherwood Park, AB / Bev Facey High School) rounded out the SFU scoring with 1 goal.

A lack of discipline would prove to be an early turning point, as Colorado attack James Blackburn opened the scoring with a man-up goal on a 1:00 minute non-releasable unsportsmanlike penalty by SFU. CU freshman Doug Lilburne made the score 2-0 before Blackburn scored his second of the game to give the Buffaloes an early three goal lead.

With both teams coming off upset losses the game prior, the early success on the scoreboard seemed to quickly reestablish CU's confidence under first-year Coach Pete Stevenson, while a fraught combination of hesitant and forced play began to compound difficulties for the Clan.

SFU freshmen Eric Ransom scored with the man advantage to ignite the Clan offense and put Fraser on the board at a score of 3-1. With SFU now working hard to gain momentum and turn the game in their favor, Lilburne scored his second of the game to dampen the Clan efforts and give the Buffaloes a 4-1 lead at the end of the opening frame.

A CU flag to end the first quarter would see Simon Fraser start the second period with possession on the man-up. Looking to cut the Colorado lead to two, a Clan turnover would instead lead to an unsettled offensive opportunity for the Buffaloes. With CU able to clear the ball off of a SFU breakdown in transition, Blackburn would again make Fraser pay for their mistakes, scoring on the man-down to complete the early hat trick.

With the Colorado lead now at four, Buffalo midfield Ryan Haines trickled a shot by Clan goaltender Dean Stewart (Duncan, BC / Claremont Secondary) to make the score 6-1. Looking to stop the CU assault, SFU replaced Stewart following Colorado's sixth goal with senior goaltender Mike Ripley (Saskatoon, SK / E.D. Feehan High School).

It did not take the Buffaloes long to get back on the scoreboard, as another lapse in the Fraser ride led to Blackburn's fourth of the game as the CU attackman broke the Clan's defensive coverage to receive a long clearing pass and blast a high shot past Ripley to extend the Buffalo lead to six. Lilburne continued to add to the damage with his third goal of the game before Foss was finally able to snap Colorado's five-goal-run at a score of 7-2.

Blackburn ended the half with his fifth goal of the game to cap off a dominating first half performance by the Buffaloes and a halftime score of 9-2.

SFU entered the second half with optimism and were confident that a return to their high powered offense could chip away at the Colorado lead. Unfortunately for the Clan, CU quickly diminished any chances of a comeback as a 7-2 third quarter made the score 16-4 and extended the Buffalo lead to twelve heading into the fourth quarter.

With most of Colorado's starters now out, SFU would out score the Buffaloes 4-1 to start the fourth quarter before both teams worked down their benches to run out the remaining minutes and land at a final score of 17-7.


Create a free lacrosse website