Overtime Goal Vaults Marist Past VMI

LEXINGTON, Va. - Bob von Hoffman's goal with 2:51 left in the first overtime propelled the visiting Marist Red Foxes over the VMI Keydets, 8-7, in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) men's lacrosse contest played Saturday at Foster Stadium in Lexington, Va.

In a game that featured five ties and three lead changes in regulation, the Red Foxes' Ryan Sharkey got off a quick shot early in overtime that was stopped by Keydet goalie Sean McCoy. Marist recovered the loose ball, and off the ensuing play, Matt Teichmann found von Hoffman just to McCoy's left for the game winner.

With the triumph, Marist moves to 4-2 on the year and opens its MAAC schedule with a victory. VMI falls to 2-6 and 0-1 in conference action. The visitors were led by Teichmann's four points, while Colin Bosse equaled his career-high with four goals for the Keydets.

In a surprise move, Sean McCoy was tabbed the VMI starter in goal for the first time since the season opener. Marist got a quick goal, as Teichmann opened the scoring by tallying the game's first marker at 13:27. Von Hoffman had the assist, but that would be Marist's only score of the period. The Keydets had 10 shot attempts in the first 15 minutes, and goals from Bosse (6:41) and Keith Long (5:57) gave VMI a 2-1 lead after the first quarter.

The Red Foxes took command in the second period, outscoring the home team 4-0. Corey Zindel found Connor Rice for a man-up goal 2:07 into the quarter, as Marist tied the score during its only man-up chance of the day. Just two minutes later, the visitors retook the lead off an odd sequence. Zindel fired a shot from McCoy's left, which appeared to bounce high off the VMI keeper's shoulder. The ball then caromed off Marist's Rice and into the net, giving the Red Foxes the lead once again, 3-2.

The pace of the game slowed considerably after Rice's goal, as neither team could score again until the 1:49 mark, when Teichmann notched his second goal of the game. Zindel had the assist, as Marist moved out to a 4-2 advantage. That cushion would grow to 5-2 just 31 seconds later, as Teichmann scored his third goal of the half to account for the halftime margin.

Teichmann's three goals and Rice's two scores led the way for Marist in the opening 30 minutes, while the visitors also won 7 of 9 at the face-off X. The Keydets, however, were able to force 10 Marist turnovers in the first half, helping VMI stay in the game.

The Keydets took advantage of that in the third quarter, outscoring Marist 3-0 and limiting the visitors to just four shots in the frame. Bosse got his second goal of the day at 12:55, cutting the margin to 5-3 and sparking nearly 10 minutes of scoreless play. The teams combined for 11 of the game's 33 turnovers during that time, and the final miscue of that span, a Red Foxes' turnover on the near sideline, led to VMI's Long finding Jacob Weimer for a goal. With 1:28 remaining in the quarter, VMI had pulled back within one. 42 seconds later, Bosse tied the game, 5-5, off a pass from Brett Leonard.

The Keydets got the ball to start the final period, and maintained possession after an exchange of turnovers. VMI lost possession off a failed clear; however, and Marist retook the lead on the resultant possession. Aedan Herman's goal, which came at the 12:31 mark, put the visiting squad up 6-5. Bosse notched his fourth goal of the game just two minutes later, as he was able to scoop a ground ball near the net and in the same motion, tip it past Marist netminder Sam Altiero for a spectacular goal to knot the score, 6-6.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website