Franklin & Marshall Drops One-Goal Contest to Ursinus

LANCASTER, Pa. For the second time in as many years, the Centennial Conference (CC) lacrosse meeting between Ursinus and Franklin & Marshall was decided by a single goal. For the second time in as many years, it was the visiting team that escaped with the win. A two-goal surge in the fourth quarter proved to be the difference as Bears (6-0, 2-0 CC) stole a 9-8 win from the hosting Diplomats (2-3, 0-1 CC).

The game was knotted at 7-7 midway through the fourth quarter. That was when Jeff Ocampo fired a left-handed blast on the run from 12 yards out to beat Diplomats keeper Chris Marcozzi top left, giving the guests an 8-7 lead. It was the fourth and final lead change in a game that saw the score deadlocked on six occasions. The Bears won the ensuing faceoff and David Kraus ended the possession 46 seconds later, scoring his fourth goal of the day. His final marker came from the top right side of the crease, making it 9-7. It stood up as the game winner.

The Diplomats got back within one on a nifty dodge and shot by Justin Rayman with 4:29 left to play. F&M had several chances down the stretch, but Ursinus keeper T.J. Magnani turned away a pair of shots in the closing minutes. He made 11 stops on the afternoon. The Diplomats failed to convert on a one-minute extra-man opportunity inside of four minutes. F&M was 0 for 3 on the man-up on the afternoon.

Ursinus possessed in the F&M box as the game wound down inside of two-minutes. F&M's Yazin Elrabie forced a turnover with 1:10 left in the game to give the Diplomats a final crack at the Ursinus cage. A handful of misplayed passes kept the Diplomats from cashing in on the possession. Sean Kenny was able to fire off a shot with 11 ticks showing, but it sailed wide of Magnani. Colin McKew and Sean Oliver had backed up the play, but an unclean pass on the restart rolled into the midfield, dashing the Diplomats' hopes.

F&M had the Bears' number in the game's early going. James Wenk parked a 10-yard shot in the top left corner of the net. After Pat Gillen got Ursinus on the board, Wenk struck top left again, this time from point-blank range. With 4:08 left in the opening quarter, F&M stretched the lead to its largest of the afternoon, 3-1, when Jeff Ritter collected a pass behind and performed tight-rope run around the crease to bounce one between the wickets of Magnani. Kraus' first of the day, a quick stick finish on a crisp Dan Monzo pass over the F&M crease got the Bears back within one.

Diplomats' defender, Freddy Schweizer put F&M back on top. He carried the clear on his own, then beat Magnani with a bounce shot on the low right side. Ocampo knotted it at 4-4 27 seconds later, ending the first half's scoring.

Kraus struck early in the third to give the Bear's their first lead of the day, but back-to-back goals involving Shane Brennan got F&M back out in front. Brennan, who has been on the shelf with an injury since the fourth game of last season, stepped back onto the field for the first time in the third quarter today. He found Sean Kenny cutting from the left to make it 5-5. Less than a minute later, Brennan fired a bullet from 20 yards out that caught Magnani off guard. It was the last time F&M led in the game. Gillen tied it up for the Bears with his second of the day before Kraus took the lead back for Ursinus. F&M tied it up a final time before Ocampo and Kraus went to work late.

The Diplomats return to action on Wednesday at Swarthmore.

* * * *

LANCASTER, Pa. The best start in the history of the Ursinus College men's lacrosse program...keeps on going. The Bears (6-0, 2-0 Centennial) stayed undefeated in Centennial Conference play with a 9-8 win at Franklin & Marshall (2-3, 0-1 Centennial) Saturday afternoon.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website