No. 1 Michigan Escapes No. 7 Oregon in Overtime

Dallas, Texas In frigid temperatures, wind, and a sideways snowfall, the #1 ranked University of Michigan men's lacrosse team gutted out another tough win on Saturday night (March 20) in Dallas, Texas, defeating #7 Oregon by a score of 5-4 in overtime. Playing in the marquee and final game of the Patriot Cup, the Wolverines gave up a goal with just five seconds left in regulation before banging home the game-winner under a minute into the overtime period to remain unbeaten on the season while also maintaining their now 46-game winning streak.

Michigan won the opening faceoff but following a turnover in the Duck's zone, a breakdown in the Wolverines' ride gave Oregon a great shot on the transition. A chance on a wide-open goal was missed wide however as the Duck's failed to convert the golden opportunity early on.

Oregon eventually got on the board first at the nine-minute mark on a shot from tight in on the right wing for the early lead. The teams traded possessions for the majority of the first quarter, but Michigan was able to answer just before the quarter break on a man-up goal from senior midfielder Jamison Goldberg (Yorktown Heights, N.Y./Yorktown). Goldberg took a feed from senior midfielder Anthony Hrusovsky (Lake Forest, Ill./Lake Forest) on the left wing and waited for the goaltender to commit before bouncing one into the cage to knot the game at 1-1 as the teams entered the second quarter.

The defensive struggle continued as neither team could find the back of the net through the first 11:18 of the quarter. Michigan finally capitalized as senior midfielder Svet Tintchev (Rockville, Md./Bullis) took a feed from Hrusovsky on the right wing and fired a low screamer that found its way through traffic for U-M's first lead of the game at 2-1 late in the first half.

Michigan kept the pressure on during the end of the second quarter, earning a man-up with 1:43 left. The Wolverines failed to score however, and an Oregon save turned into a successful clear. The Ducks quickly turned the ball over though, and Michigan raced up field for a final chance of their own before the half-break. The Maize and Blue failed to capitalize once again however with the Wolverines holding on tight to the one-goal lead heading into the second half.

Oregon tied the game up four minutes into the third quarter on a dodge from the left wing, but Michigan answered at the 7:13 mark on a quick stick goal from junior attackman Trevor Yealy (Pittsburgh, Penn./Upper St. Claire) after he took a feed from senior attackman Clark McIntyre (Little Silver, N.J./Rumson Fair Haven).

Oregon didn't back down and converted a Wolverine turnover at 4:16 to tie the game at 3-3. The Ducks picked off a pass on a Michigan clear and took it in one on one on junior goaltender Mark Stone (Greenwood Village, Colo./Cherry Creek) before firing low.

After possessions for both teams, Michigan earned a man-up chance late in the third quarter and senior attackman Josh Ein (Potomac, Md./Bullis) capitalized for Michigan, taking a feed from Goldberg on the left wing and firing low to high for the 4-3 lead at the end of the third quarter.

Michigan kept up the pressure at the start of the fourth quarter, with Yealy catching a pipe at 9:25 as the Wolverines continued to struggle finding the back of the net. U-M maintained possession over the next five minutes and earned a minute-long man-up following a Duck slash at 4:26. The Wolverines failed to capitalize, turning the ball over twice on the man-up as Oregon killed the opportunity and earned a possession with just under a minute left in the game. As soon as Oregon got into the Wolverines' box, the Ducks called a timeout with 52 seconds left to set up their last push.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website