Wentworth Holds off U. of New England in TCCC Play

BOSTON, Mass. - Junior attackman Matt Cox' (Granger, Ind.) goal with 6:16 remaining in the third quarter proved to the game winner, while freshman goalie Jared Proulx (Nashua, N.H.) made a key save in the waning seconds of the contest as the Wentworth lacrosse team held on for a 9-8 win over the University of New England in a The Commonwealth Coast Conference game played at Sweeney Field. With the win Wentworth improves to 2-2 overall and 1-1 in TCCC play, while UNE falls to 4-3 (1-1).

The host Leopards got a pair of goals less than two minutes apart to jump out to a 2-0 lead. Freshman attackman Connor Swanson (Holden, Mass.) recorded his first career marker 2:12 into the game, while sophomore midfielder Justin Connors (Richboro, Pa.) scored 1:59 later.

UNE sophomore attackman Dylan Thomas (Pleasantville, N.Y.) cut the deficit to 2-1 with 4:38 left in the quarter before junior attackman Luke DiFiore (Gloucester, Mass.) tied the score with a goal with 21 seconds left in the quarter. However, sophomore Mike Swenson (East Lyme, Conn.) gave the Leopards the lead for good with his goal with two seconds left.

Swenson's marker began a 4-0 Wentworth run, as Cox, senior attackman Jeff Novak (Killingworth, Conn.), and freshman Mark Pappas (Worcester, Mass.) each scored goals. On Novak and Pappas' goals, freshman midfielder Mike Sharpe (Needham, Mass.) picked up assists. The Nor'Easters scored the next three goals, including one from Thomas with 49 seconds left in the half, to cut the lead to 6-5 at the break.

A pair of goals by Pappas within 37 seconds of each other gave Wentworth an 8-5 lead before Cox added his second of the game with 6:16 left in the period. Freshman attackman Tyler Thomas (Pleasantville, N.Y.) and Dylan Thomas pulled UNE to 9-7 at the end of the third period and midfielder Eric Santos (Jamestown, R.I.) made it a one-goal game with 8:58 left in the contest.

The Nor'Easters had a successful clear off a Leopard turnover with 45 seconds left and had a shot attempt go wide. With 22 seconds left, Proulx made a stop to preserve the lead and give Wentworth the win.

Proulx made 12 saves in the second half for Wentworth, as he came on in relief of senior Sean Tobin (Silver Spring, Md.), who made eight first-half stops. Sophomore Nate Potter (Cohasset, Mass.) made nine saves for UNE, who held a 48-27 shot advantage and a 43-41 ground ball advantage.


Create a free lacrosse website