Vassar Comeback Falls Short Against Richard Stockton

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY (March 27, 2010) -- Despite unleashing five shots in the last fifty seconds of regulation, the Vassar College mens lacrosse team was unable to complete its comeback attempt, falling to Richard Stockton 8-7 Saturday afternoon at Weinberg field. Vassar led 4-2 in the first half, but a 6-1 run gave the Ospreys a lead that proved just enough.

Vassar is now 3-5, 0-1 in the Liberty League, and plays next at Clarkson Saturday, April 3rd at noon. Richard Stockton improves to 3-2 on the season and will host Catholic University Wednesday, April 31st at 7:30 pm.

Down 8-6 and in desperation mode, Vassar senior attack Sean Murray netted his 12th goal of the season to pull the Brewers to within one goal with fifty seconds left. Junior Zach Beauchamp won the ensuing face-off, giving his team possession and a chance to tie the game. But Richard Stockton goalkeeper Pete Marcelliano withstood the frenzy of shots, making three saves in that last minute, and Vassars comeback attempt fell just short.

The Brewers started strong, controlling possession early and scoring the games first two goals with a methodical offensive attack. Junior Ryan Hart tallied the first goal just two minutes into the game off an assist from junior Nick Cardillo, and Cardillo added a goal of his own less than three minutes later to put Vassar up 2-0. Stockton answered with a goal from sophomore Mike Velez, but two more Vassar tallies the first from freshman Ryan McCarthy, the second from junior Sam Seymour -- put the Brewers in control with a 4-1 lead two minutes into the second period.

From that point on, however, it was Richard Stockton that would hold the momentum. Freshman Drew Flagler cut the score to 4-2 with 9:19 left to play in the second period, and Velez added another goal just 25 seconds before halftime to trim Vassars lead to 4-3 at the break.

In the second half, Richard Stockton continued its attack. The Ospreys controlled possession of the ball, and continued their scoring run with two straight goals to take a 5-4 lead with nine minutes left in the third period. With the floodgates now open, Stockton extended its lead to 8-5 on a goal from senior Brendan McCarthy one minute into the fourth period, and appeared to have the game in hand.

But the pesky Brewers, who have shown the ability to come back on several occasions this season, were not easily defeated. Another goal by Cardillo with 10:03 to play made the score 8-6, and after nine hard-fought minutes with no scores from either side, Murray made things interesting with his goal before Vassar finally ran out of time.

Brewers goalkeeper Alex Tice had 14 saves on the day, holding Stockton without a goal in the final 14 minutes of play. Marcelliano finished with 16 saves, the three most important coming in that last minute.

Seymour and Cardillo finished with two goals apiece, and Hart, Murray, and McCarthy had one apiece. Cardillo added three assists to his productive afternoon. Beauchamp led the Brewers with 10 ground balls, and caused seven turnovers.

Brendan McCarthy, Mike Velez, and Drew Flagler had two goals each for Richard Stockton.


Create a free lacrosse website