No. 12 Nazareth Edges No. 16 St. Lawrence in Double OT

SKANEATELES, N.Y. -- Junior Joe Jacobs-Ferderbar scored the game winning goal 1:19 into the second overtime period Saturday to lift Nazareth to a 9-8 victory over St. Lawrence in a non-conference men's lacrosse game played at Skaneateles High School. Senior Todd Dermody made a game-high 10 saves for Nazareth.

The victory boosted 12th-ranked Nazareth's record to 5-2 overall. St. Lawrence, ranked 16th nationally in Division III, dropped to 3-2 overall. The hard-fought game featured seven ties and three lead changes with Nazareth's 2-0 lead in the first quarter being the largest margin for either team.

Sophomore C.J. Estes had three goals for the Golden Flyers and Jacobs-Ferderbar finished with two goals and added one assist. Mike Cummings, Mark DeCirce and Kyle Brown also had goals in addition to Castle's game-tying goal in the fourth quarter.

Nazareth surged to an early 2-0 lead 6:22 into the first quarter following a goal from Jacobs-Ferderbar and Estes. Sophomore John McDonnell found Jacobs-Ferderbar with 10:33 to play in the quarter to put the Golden Flyers on the board before Estes extended Nazareth's lead with an unassisted goal two minutes later.

Kyle Jacobsen cut the Saints' deficit to one with an unassisted goal with 7:52 to play in the quarter. After the remainder of the quarter finished scoreless, St. Lawrence tied the game when Mac Johnson found the back of the net two minutes into the second period.

Nazareth and St. Lawrence traded the final five goals of the half to leave the Golden Flyers with a 5-4 lead at halftime. With the ball in Nazareth's offensive zone, Brown scored the Golden Flyers' third goal after running toward the midfield line to substitute then cutting back into the box. The defender covering Brown continued running to midfield. Cummings sent a well-timed pass to the wide-open Brown, who converted on the opportunity.

Estes scored Nazareth's final two goals of the period with 6:46 and 3:46 remaining in the period, respectively. After receiving a pass from junior Joe Valasiadis, Estes one-timed a shot into the back of the net for his second goal of the quarter.

John Manning and Matt Pope tallied back-to-back goals midway through the third quarter to give the Saints their first lead of the game, 6-5, with 4:43 to play in the quarter. About a minute after St. Lawrence's second goal, Cummings answered for the Golden Flyers to tie the game. With 39 seconds left in the quarter, Johnson found the back of the net to reclaim the Saints' lead, 7-6 going into the fourth quarter.

Jacobs-Ferderbar set-up senior Mark DeCirce's goal about five minutes into the fourth quarter to tie the game for the sixth time. Less than a minute later, St. Lawrence reclaimed the lead. Scott Castle, however, scored the equalizer with 2:03 left in regulation as the Golden Flyers converted a man-up opportunity. Freshman Brian Wright was credited with an assist on Castle's goal, which forced the game into overtime.

St. Lawrence controlled the first three minutes of the first overtime period, but Dermody made two saves to keep the game tied. Dermody also forced a shot by Caldwell Rohrbach wide as Rohrbach was one-on-one with Dermody at the Nazareth crease.

The Saints also had the first chance in the second overtime period after controlling the faceoff. Nazareth again weathered St. Lawrence before forcing the Saints into a turnover. The Golden Flyers cleared the defensive zone before calling a timeout with 3:00 left in the second overtime period to set-up Jacobs-Ferderbar's game-winning shot.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website