Navy Rallies But Falls to No. 13 Georgetown in OT Thriller

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Junior midfielder Max Seligmann punched in a seven-yard shot just 52 seconds into overtime to lead the 13th-ranked Georgetown men's lacrosse team (5-3) to a 13-12 victory over Navy (5-5) Friday evening at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. It was the fifth one-goal game played by the Midshipmen this season, including their program-record tying fourth overtime contest.

"Whenever something like this happens, if you win you felt like you could have lost and if you lost you felt like you could have won," said 10th-year Navy head coach Richie Meade. "In our case, I felt like we gave everything we had to get back in the game and put ourselves in a situation to win. We got a good shot at the end of the game, their keeper just made a great save.

"The effort, the belief, all the intangibles are there. He just needed to do a better job in some areas that we've struggled and just couldn't get it done. I thought the offense played one of its best games of the year, but we played too much defense. We can't give up 12 goals and expect to win."

Navy never held the lead in the game and trailed by as many as four, including 9-5 with 10 minutes to go in the third quarter. But much like last week, the Mids fought their way back into the game thanks to some unlikely scorers. Navy outscored the Hoyas 4-2 in the final stanza and after Georgetown struck first at the 14:11 mark, the Mids answered when sophomore midfielder Taylor Cook (Hollywood, Md.) took a pass from junior attackman Andy Warner (Corning, N.Y.) and threaded it past Georgetown keeper Jack Davis. It was just the third goal by the second-line midfielder this season.

Georgetown pushed its lead back to three, 12-9, when rookie attackman Travis Comeau caught a Jason McFadden pass on the run and fired it past Navy keeper RJ Wickham (Penn Yan, N.Y.) with 5:57 remaining in the game.

Navy, though, put together a 3-0 run that began with a doorstep strike by senior Brendan Connors (Bellmore, N.Y.) at the 2:52, his third goal of the evening. The Mids went on to score back-to-back goals just 13 seconds apart. With 1:26 left in regulation, Connors found an open Kyle Kapron (Chandler, Ariz.), who targeted a three-yard shot on an extra-man opportunity. Meanwhile, on the ensuing faceoff, junior defensive midfielder Marty Gallagher (Wayne, Pa.)r intercepted a pass by Brian Tabb, threw the ball from the top of the defensive box to pole Zack Schroeder (Deer Park, N.Y.) who ran with the ball 15 yards and stuck it past Davis for the equalizer.

Tabb won the faceoff for the Hoyas and set up what would be a solid goal-scoring opportunity by senior middie Scott Kocis, but Wickham denied Kocis and instead snatched the ball out of the air and sent a long outlet pass nearly the length of the field. Senior midfielder Patrick Moran (Annapolis, Md.) fought to get free of his foe and eventually scooped up the ground ball and got a great look at the cage. Davis, though, would also turn away the would-be game-winner by Moran and sent the game into extra minutes.

Once again, it was Tabb who scored the faceoff win, putting the game in his teammates' hands. After working the ball around, Seligmann took off from the middle of the field and was able to create enough space between he and Gallagher to get his right hand free and score what was his ninth goal of the year and the game-winner for the Hoyas.

The two teams traded goals in the opening minutes of the game, but the Hoyas put together a run by scoring back-to-back goals in under 10 seconds and held a 4-2 advantage by the end of the first quarter.

1 2 3 4    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website