Franklin & Marshall Survives Muhlenberg in Triple OT

LANCASTER, Pa. Keith Murray played 18 seconds of lacrosse on Saturday. It was long enough to deliver Franklin & Marshall a much needed 7-6 win in the third overtime of a Centennial Conference's men's lacrosse game on Saturday. It was the second time in as many meetings in Lancaster that the two teams battled into triple overtime. The Mules walked away with the win in 2008.

Murray, who scored the goal of his career on the extra man Wednesday night at Scranton, made a repeat performance on the Diplomats (5-4, 2-2 CC) third extra man opportunity on Saturday. The Mules' (4-4, 3-2 CC) Corey Aferiat was called for pushing with six seconds left in the second overtime, allowing the Diplomats to posses in the third overtime. Murray worked off of the left post to get open for a Shane Brennan pass to put the contest away.

The Diplomats went 2 for 3 on extra-man opportunities, marking the first game this season that F&M cashed in on multiple EMOs.

It looked like overtime was not going to be necessary following a pair of Shane Brennan blasts late in the fourth quarter. Brennan tied the game at 3:07 running right and firing against the grain. Less than a minute later, he rolled left and ripped a shot into the top left corner from eight-yards out to give F&M a 6-5 lead.

F&M possessed in the Muhlenberg box late in the game, but Matt Schroeder forced a turnover on the end line with 39 seconds to play. Andrew Curley grabbed the ground ball and got the Mules up the field. With 6.5 seconds left in regulation, Aferiat collected a Jack Reilly feed and beat Chris Marcozzi top right to send the game into overtime.

Marcozzi made 11 saves, including two on overtime, to collect the win for F&M. Mike Horowitz was far busier at the opposite end, making 26 saves, including five in overtime. His stops accounted for the bulk of the possessions as Andrew Setian was dominant on the faceoffs for F&M, winning 14 of the game's 18 draws. Freddy Schweizer caused four turnovers for the Diplomats, while Sean Murphy grabbed a game-high seven ground balls.

The Diplomats return to action next Saturday at Haverford.


Create a free lacrosse website