Marist Winning Streak Snapped by No. 16 Lafayette

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. The Marist men's lacrosse team was within one of the #16 Lafayette Leopards 4-3 at halftime but was shutout 4-0 in the third quarter on its way to a 13-7 loss at Tenney Stadium at Leonidoff Field Tuesday night. Ryan Sharkey (West Field, N.J.) and Connor Rice (Penfield, N.Y.) each had a pair of goals for Marist, who had its three-game winning streak snapped.

Both goalies Sam Altiero (Randolph, N.J.) for Marist and Vinny DePasquale for Lafayette shined early in the first quarter. The two combined for seven saves in the first 9:55 of the game. The Leopards' Tom Perini and Bob FitzPatrick were each close to scoring during that time, but saw shots go off the goal posts.

Lafayette got on the board first, as Chris Ahern scored at the 4:36 mark to make the score 1-0. Marist tied the game 1-1 with 2:03 to go in the quarter as Corey Zindel (Randolph, N.J.) fed Sharkey in front of the net for his first goal of the game.

Marist (6-3) took the lead early in the second quarter as Rice scored his 20th goal of the season with 13:10 to go, making the score 2-1. Lafayette then tied the game 2-2 at the 9:35 mark with a goal by Stefan Bauer. The Leopards then took a 3-2 lead as Tom Perini scored his 25th goal of the season with 8:26 remaining in the half.

After the two teams traded turnovers, Sharkey tied the game 3-3 with a goal from Matt Teichmann (Huntington, N.Y.) at the 1:50 mark. Marist had a chance to take the lead after going man-up following the Sharkey goal, but a turnover led to a Kevin Dunbar goal with 51 seconds left in the half that gave Lafayette a 4-3 halftime lead.

The Leopards then came out of the locker room and controlled the third quarter. Lafayette won four of the five faceoffs and had 10 ground balls to Marist's five. Dunbar and Colin Serling notched goals in the first 2:22 of the quarter to give the Leopards a 6-3 lead.

The Red Foxes had a chance with 5:05 to go in the quarter to get within two on an extra-man opportunity, but got only one shot off which was saved by DePasquale. Steve Serling then put Lafayette ahead 7-3 with a goal at the 2:55 mark of the third.

Fifty-four seconds later, Ahern scored his second goal of the game to put the visitors up 8-3. Marist scored four goals in the fourth quarter, but Lafayette answered with five tallies to make the final score 13-7.

Lafayette outshot Marist 39-29 and had a 35-26 advantage in ground balls. DePasquale made 13 saves for the Leopards while Altiero had 14 saves. Dunbar led the Leopards with four goals and two assists, while Matt Mersky and Steve Serling each had a pair of goals.

Marist opens a three-game road trip Saturday with an 11:00 a.m. game at Canisius.


Create a free lacrosse website