No. 22 Simon Fraser Falls Short Against No. 2 Chapman

PORTLAND, OR (April 8, 2010) No. 22 Simon Fraser jumped out to an early 3-0 lead but could not hold off a prolonged second and third quarter rally by No. 2 Chapman as the Panthers picked up an 11-8 win over the Clan in a neutral site contest at Lakeridge High School in Lake Oswego, Oregon on Saturday, April 3. In a rematch of the 2009 MCLA Quarterfinal, the win is Chapman's third straight over Simon Fraser and runs the Panther's record to 10-1 on the year while the Clan slip to 2-6.

Senior Russel Thomas (Nanoose Bay, BC/Ballenas Secondary) fueled an early 2-0 lead for SFU as he opened the scoring 28 seconds in on the Clan's first possession of the game, then assisted on a goal by Ben Towner (Port Coquitlam, BC/Terry Fox Secondary) less than a minute later to make the score 2-0. Junior Chris Tessarolo (New Westminster, BC/New Westminster Secondary) extended the Clan lead to three at 13:09 on a pass from Adam Foss (Cochrane, AB/Cochrane High School).

Madison Fiore (Faith Lutheran, NV) and Will Morrison (Palmer-Trinity School, FL) scored back-to-back to put Chapman on the board at a score of 3-2. Fraser continued their strong start as defender Nathan Clare (Ladner, BC/Vancouver College) scored in transition to make the score 4-2. Midfielder Chris Small (La Costa Canyon, CA) would then answer back for the Panthers with only 20 seconds left on the clock to cut the Clan lead back to one and end the first quarter with a score of 4-3.

The fast pace would continue to start the second frame as sophomore Andrew Clayton (Lakeridge, OR) scored on the Panther's first possession of the quarter to tie the score a four. Small would then win the ensuing face-off and feed senior attack Connor Martin (Lakeridge, OR) to give Chapman their first lead of the game at 5-4. After two goals in the opening minute, the two teams would reach a stalemate for the remaining 14 minutes of the half giving the Panthers a one-goal lead heading into the break.

It would not take long for Chapman to re-ignite the action in the third quarter as Small would convert another face-off win into a goal, this time keeping the ball himself and scoring just 8 seconds in to make the score 6-4. Small's second goal of the game would be part of a 3-0 run to start the second half as Clayton and Chris Thatcher (Temescal Canyon, CA) scored at 10:56 and 7:53, respectively, to give the Panthers a four-goal lead.

With just under four minutes left in the quarter, Tessarolo assisted on Towner's second goal of the day to end the Clan's scoring drought at 8-5. Chapman would then make the score 8-6 on the man-up with 31 seconds on the clock before Thomas again made it a three-goal game with only 18 seconds left to end the third quarter at a score of 9-6.

Looking for a fourth-quarter-comeback, SFU freshman Colton Dow (Coquitlam, BC/Heritage Woods Secondary) would make it a two goal game as Fraser scored on the man-up to close the Chapman lead to two. Chas Stiegler (Oaks Christian, CA) then re-established some breathing room for the Panthers at 10-7 before Dow continued to keep the Clan's hopes alive with his second straight goal to make the score 10-8 with 7 minutes to play.

Unfortunately for SFU, that would be as close as they would get, as Chapman's Connor Martin completed the scoring at the 5:52 mark to give the Panther's a hard fought 11-8 win.

Morrison and Small led the Panthers with 2 goals and 1 assist each, while the attack trio of Clayton, Fiore and Martin each added two goals apiece.

Thomas totaled 2 goals and 2 assists for the Clan, while Towner added 2 goals and 1 assist. Additionally, freshman Colton Dow recorded the first two-goal game of his career.


Create a free lacrosse website