5,618 See No. 4 Maryland Hold off the Midshipmen

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The junior attack unit of Grant Catalino, Travis Reed and Ryan Young combined for eight goals and five assists to pace the No. 4 University of Maryland men's lacrosse team to an 11-9 victory over in-state rival Navy in front of 5,618 fans at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium Saturday afternoon. The victory improves the Terps to 7-2 on the season, while the Midshipmen fall to 5-6.

The opening quarter started as a defensive battle with Navy goalie RJ Wickham making three of his 17 saves in the first nine minutes, while Maryland goalie Brian Phipps made two stops in the first 7:30. The deadlock was finally snapped by Maryland redshirt freshman Owen Blye, who wrapped around the right side of the crease and snuck the ball past Wickham at the 5:34 mark.

But the Mids scored twice, on goals by Joe Lennon and Patrick Moran, in the final two minutes of the first quarter to take a 2-1 lead heading into the second. Lennon would then score again with 10:55 to go in the second to put Navy up 3-1.

Maryland was held without a goal for more than 15 minutes, but Catalino put a stop to the scoreless stretch with three straight goals in a span of 2:28 as the second quarter was coming to a close. He scored his first at the 5:13 mark from the left wing off a feed from redshirt sophomore Drew Snider on a hard shot to the lower right corner.

Catalino's second tally came just over two minutes later off an assist from Young. Young rolled around the back of the cage and fired a great pass to Catalino on the left side where he beat Wickham to tie the game at 3-3.

Catalino finished the natural hat trick 15 seconds later to give Maryland a 4-3 lead heading into halftime. Senior Bryn Holmes won the ensuing face-off with junior Dan Burns picking up one of his five groundballs on the day. Burns flipped the ball back to Holmes, who raced into the attack zone and found Catalino perched on the left wing where he ripped a shot inside the far post.

The Mids would not go down without a fight in the second half and tied the game at 4-4 on Nikk Davis' goal a minute and a half into the third quarter. But that would be the last time Navy shared the lead in the game.

Freshman Jesse Bernhardt caused a turnover during the ensuing face-off to give possession back to the Terps. From there it didn't take Maryland long to regain the lead thanks to the Young-to-Reed connection, which hooked-up for three goals in the game. The first of which came when Bernhardt flipped the ball to Young, who found Reed on the right wing, where he laced a low-to-high shot into the Navy goal to make it a 5-4 game in favor of the Terps.

Sophomore Joe Cummings upped the Maryland lead to 6-4 less than a minute later with a bounce shot from the right alley into the left side of the Midshipmen goal.

Moran scored his second of the day to trim the lead back to one with 11:35 left in the third, but Reed scored back-to-back goals off assists from Young to give Maryland its biggest lead at 8-5 at the 8:13 mark. Reed's second goal of the day was a top-shelf rip from the right wing. His third tally was from the same spot on the wing, but this time he went top near corner and the ball rattled off of the crossbar and the near pipe before bouncing into the net.

Navy continued to fight back and got back to within a goal on back-to-back goals by Kyle Kapron. The second Kapron score came with just 14 seconds left and seemed to give Navy the momentum heading into the fourth quarter, but redshirt junior Brian Farrell and Burns had another idea.

1 2 3 4    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website