Camels Stun No. 20 Bobcats in Double Overtime

LEWISTON, Maine -- Connecticut College came all the way back from a 10-2 deficit to tie the game at 11-11 at the end of regulation, then went on to a 13-12 NESCAC victory in double overtime over the Bates College women's lacrosse team on Saturday.

Bates (4-5, 2-4 NESCAC), ranked No. 20 in Division III, led 6-2 at halftime and opened the second half with four straight goals in the opening 4:07 of the second half. But the Camels (4-5, 1-5 NESCAC) finished the game on a 9-1 run, including the game-tying goal by Brianna Miller with 12 seconds left in reguluation.

Molly Radis scored 1:57 into the six-minute first overtime period and the Bobcats held that lead until the final minute of the period. Bates was whistled for a rare red card, giving the Camels a free-position opportunity. The Camels passed up the initial shot but worked the ball around several times, when finally Miller netted an unassisted goal to make it 12-12 with 12 seconds left. Bates' Emma Scott gained control of the ensuing draw, but without enough time to get a shot off.

Sixty-four seconds into the sudden-death, three-minute second overtime period, Abby Hill took a pass from Katelyn Driscoll in front of the Bates goal for the game-winner.

Miller, Driscoll and Libby Nichols all scored three goals apiece for the Camels, with Driscoll adding three assists. Ashleigh Kowtoniuk played all but three minutes in goal for Connecticut College and made 10 saves.

Morgan Maciewicz scored three goals for Bates, while Joan O'Neill added two goals and four assists. Radis scored two goals with two assists, and Briana Gross added two goals and one assist. Bates goalie Mara Krueger made eight saves.

Bates increased the halftime lead from 6-2 to 10-2 within the first four minutes and seven seconds of the second period. O'Neill figured in the first three of those tallies, scoring twice and assisting Gross on the other. Jenn Brallier's goal from Gross made it 10-2 Bates with 25:53 left in regulation time.

The Camels put on a 3-0 spurt in response, getting back into the game at 10-5 with 17:47 to go. Bates stemmed the bleeding when O'Neill assisted Dannis to make it 11-5 with 12:17 left. But Driscoll responded quickly with an unassisted tally after Cookie Smith controlled the draw, starting a 6-0 run by Connecticut College to finish out the clock.

Nichols scored back-to-back goals at the 2:27 and 1:41 marks to close the gap to 11-10. A yellow card was issued to the Camel goalie with 45.2 seconds left, putting backup Kelsey Burke in for her first game action of the season for the next three minutes. The Bates red card followed 18 seconds later, however, setting up the game-tying score with 12 seconds to go.

Maciewicz scored the first three goals of the game, two on assists from Radis and another assisted by Dannis, putting Bates on top 3-0 with 19:54 to go in the first. After a nearly nine-minute stretch with no scoring, Bates added back-to-back goals by Gross at the 11:02 mark and Dannis at the 9:21 mark for a 5-0 lead.

The Camels finally got on the scoreboard in the 26th minute of the game, an unassisted tally by Driscoll with 3:23 left that made it 5-1. Driscoll added another one 43 seconds later, but Bates bumped the halftime lead back to four as Radis found the back of the net.


Create a free lacrosse website