No. 3 North Carolina Gets by RMU in High-Scoring Afffair

Moon Township, Pa. - April 17, 2010 - The Robert Morris University Colonials ended their home portion of the regular-season against No. 3 North Carolina on Saturday afternoon and put on a strong showing, falling to the Tar Heels by just three goals, 17-14. Robert Morris remained within at least three goals of the nation's top defensive team throughout the entire contest and was down by just one after the first-half.

Despite the loss, the Colonials again proved the talent of their offense by scoring 14 goals against a team that has never let an opponent score more than 11 goals before today and averages holding their opponent to just 6.36 goals per game. However, the Colonials' defense could not contain the Tar Heel attack causing them to suffer the three goal set back.

With the loss the Colonials drop to 8-4, while the Tar Heels improve to 11-1 on the season.

RMU's top scorers put up impressive performances as usual with Corbyn Tao-Brambleby (Coquitlam, B.C/Western Reserve Academy) leading the charge with five goals and one assist for six points. Junior Trevor Moore (Port Coquitlam, B.C./Western Reserve Academy) extended his scoring streak to 27 games and captured his fifth hat-trick of the season.

Both Patrick Smith (Westminster, Md./Westminster) and Taylor Caparosa (Annapolis, Md./Annappolis) scored a pair of goals each and for the first time this season Richard Cambry (Port Coquitlam, B.C./Riverside) led the defense with three caused turnovers. Smith and sophomore Kyle Buchanan (Nepean, Ontario/John McCrae) each led the Colonials with five ground balls.

Gavin Petracca led the way for the Tar Heels by scoring a game-high six goals and two assists for eight points. Billy Bitter added two goals and four helpers and Marcus Holman contributed two goals and three assists.

The Tar Heels reeled off four goals within the first four minutes of the contest to take an early lead. Robert Morris was finally able to get a score on the board when Smith beat Tar Heel goalie Chris Madalon at 4:29 to cut into North Carolina's lead. Two minutes later Caparosa ripped a shot from the side of the field into the corner of the net to set the score at 4-2.

Gavin captured his first goal of the contest with 6:58 left to play in the quarter, but RMU quickly found its stride and scored two more times before the end of the quarter to move within one of North Carolina.

Tao-Brambleby opened up the second quarter with a goal at 2:27 on an unassisted play to knot the score for the first time in the contest, 5-5. Petracca quickly took back the one-goal lead at 3:12, but the Colonials scored two more goals to within the next 1:30 to earn their first lead of the contest, 7-6.

The two teams swapped goals again when Jimmy Dunster scored a man-up goal off an assist from Petracca at 7:06 and Tao-Brambleby converted on a feed from Smith 49 seconds later.

The Tar Heels dominated the next six minutes and scored three goals to give them their biggest lead of the second quarter at 10-8. However, with two seconds left in the quarter Tao-Brambleby made a diving pass to Abbott who scored to bring RMU within one at the half.

Throughout the first 10 minutes of the third quarter, the Tar Heels outscored Robert Morris four to one, giving them their largest lead since the start of the contest at 14-10 with 4:56 left to play. The Colonials responded by scoring two goals within 30 seconds of each other to cut the deficit to two goals, but Petracca scored his fifth goal of the day with 2:02 left on the clock to give UNC a 15-12 lead heading into the final frame.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website