Hobart Can't Come Back vs. ECAC Rival Bellarmine

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-The Hobart lacrosse team fell into an early hole and never recovered, falling to ECAC rival Bellarmine 10-5. The host Knights rattled off the game's first seven goals and with stood a five-goal charge by the Statesmen to post the victory.

BU opened the scoring at the 8:21 mark of the first quarter when Alex Porter finished a feed from Trevor Timmerberg. Two minutes later, Porter set up Shane Andersen for a 2-0 lead. At the 3:09 mark, Jarrett Davis scored off an assist from Chase Williams. The Knights carried a 4-0 lead into the second quarter thanks to Derek Hopcroft's unassisted strike with 41 seconds left in the opening frame.

Hobart was outshot 12-5 in the first quarter. The Statesmen were able to generate more offensive opportunities in the second quarter, holding a 9-7 edge in shots, but struggled to solve Bellarmine goalie Dillon Ward. After stopping both shots he faced in the first 15 minutes, Ward turned back seven Hobart offerings in the second quarter. He finished with 18 saves.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the field Austin Bright and Porter posted goals less than two minutes apart in the later stages of the half to send the Knights into halftime with a 6-0 lead.

Bright opened the second half scoring to give the home team a seven-goal advantage. At the 8:55 mark of the third quarter, sophomore attackman Sam Miller finally broke through for the Statesmen with an unassisted goal. Twenty-eight seconds later, he scored again, this time on the extra-man, to make it a 7-2 game. Senior defensive midfielder Kurtis Gibbs scooped up the ground ball on the ensuing faceoff and set up sophomore attackman Chris Pedersen with just 14 seconds run off the clock.

With 4:47 left in the third quarter, Pedersen kept the run going by setting up senior midfielder Mike Suits getting Hobart within three, 7-4. Less than a minute into the fourth quarter, first-year midfielder Tyler Smith trimmed the deficit to just two with his second goal of the season. Senior attackman Kevin Curtin earned an assist on the play, extending his consecutive games with a point streak to 23 games.

Unfortunately, that's as close as the Statesmen would get. Four minutes later, Jarrett Davis buried a pass from Sean Doyle to give the Knights an 8-5 lead. Andersen scored a man-up goal, assisted by Hopcraft, with 3:23 left in the game and Andersen returned the favor two minutes later, assisting on a Hopcraft goal to close the day's scoring.

Miller and Pedersen led the Statesmen offensively with two points apiece. At the faceoff X, sophomore midfielder Bobby Dattilo was 12 of 19 on the day, including 9 of 11 in the second half, and collected a game-high seven ground balls. Junior long-stick midfielder Alex Caton produced a game-high four caused turnovers and grabbed six ground balls. In goal, senior Max Silberlicht stopped 15 of the 24 shots he faced.

Andersen, Hopcraft, and Porter each registered three points to lead BU. The Statesmen will return home on Sat., April 24, to host eighth-ranked Loyola. Faceoff at McCooey Field is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website