Wagner Knocks off VMI 8-7 in Overtime for First Win

LEXINGTON, Va. - A Sean Travis goal with just 22 seconds left in the first overtime propelled the Wagner Seahawks to an 8-7 victory over the VMI Keydets, in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) men's lacrosse contest played Saturday at Foster Stadium in Lexington, Va.

During a Wagner (1-11, 1-5 MAAC) timeout with 52 seconds remaining in the overtime, the Seahawks set up a play. After several deliberate passes, Travis cut to his right, toward the middle of the field. He fired off a shot from about 10 yards out, angled just to the right of VMI keeper Kelly McMinn.

Originally, it was ruled that the attempt was just wide, but after conferring, the officials determined that Travis' shot had gone through a small portion of the net in the upper right-hand corner of the mesh, just over McMinn's left shoulder. The ball had then come out of the back of the cage, meaning that the goal would stand and the Seahawks had prevailed.

In defeat, the Keydets were paced by Colin Bosse, who had four points on the day, as well as Jesse Newman, who posted the first two goals of his college career. McMinn equaled his career high with 16 saves, eight of which came in the second quarter, while Stephen Robarge was 13 for 19 at the face-off X and grabbed 10 ground balls. Robarge's performance makes him just the fourth player in Keydet history to have over 100 ground balls in a single season, as the sophomore now has 109 on the year, a total that ranks second in VMI annals.

The Keydets got off to a quick start on the cloudy April afternoon, as Robarge took the opening draw. On the ensuing possession, Drew Leonard found Bosse for the game's first goal, putting VMI up 1-0 less than 90 second into the game.

As was the case all day, Wagner came right back. After a Keydet turnover, Colin O'Rourke scored on an individual effort, tying the game with 11:20 left in the first. From there, the contest settled into a defensive slugfest. The Keydets had eight shots over the remainder of the quarter, while the Seahawks had six attempts, but neither team could find the back of the net and the quarter ended with a 1-1 score.

The second quarter began much the same as the first, with a Robarge face-off win. The Keydets, however, turned the ball over moments later. Wagner could not convert, and after the ensuing VMI clear, Bosse found Keith Long for the go-ahead goal at the 12:46 mark, putting the Keydets up 2-1.

After another VMI turnover, Wagner got the ball back with 11:21 left in the half and began to pepper McMinn. The VMI keeper stopped each of the visitors' four possessions over the next five minutes with a save. Unfortunately for VMI, after an offside penalty against the Keydets, Cody Isdaner notched the first of his four assists by finding Brian Faughnan for a man-up goal, tying the score once again with 5:40 left in the half.

Over the next 5:40, Wagner outshot VMI 7-0 but could not take its first lead, and the score remained knotted at two at the intermission. The Seahawks had outshot the home team 21-14 over the first 30 minutes, but McMinn's 11 saves had helped keep the score tied.

VMI began the third quarter by winning the face-off once again, and controlled the ball for nearly four of the first five minutes. That trend ended with Tyler Griffith's first career goal, as the sophomore scored a man-up marker off a pass from Brett Leonard. The goal came with 10:18 on the clock, and occurred as the senior, Leonard, found sophomore Griffith cutting into the middle of the defense. He then turned and easily beat Wagner keeper Peter Rubin to give the Keydets the lead once again, 3-2.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website