Castleton Wraps up Regular Season Downing Lyndon State

Castleton, VT - Senior Michael Martinez (Barrington, IL) scored six goals and dished out two assists to lead Castleton State College to a 20-5 win over Lyndon State College in North Atlantic Conference (NAC) mens lacrosse action Thursday evening at Spartan Stadium.

Castleton wraps up the regular season at 10-5 overall and 8-1 in conference play. The second-seeded Spartans will play host to the seventh seed Thomas College on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in a NAC Tournament Quarterfinal. Lyndon State ends the regular season at 3-9, 2-7. The Hornets will take the eighth-seed in the NAC Tournament and travel to top-seed Mount Ida for a 1:00 p.m. quarterfinal match-up.

Lyndon State sophomore Max Ercole (St. Johnsbury, VT) made it 4-2 with 23 seconds left in the first period, but Castleton posted seven unanswered goals in the second period to take a commanding 11-2 lead into the interval. Samuel Bailey (Hartford, VT) and Martinez each tallied two goals during the decisive 15-minute stretch.

Ercole scored a team-high three goals to pace the Hornet attack, while Chris Mansour (Mansfield, MA) and Teague Coyle (Tilton, NH) each had one.

Bailey finished with two goals and four assists to follow Martinez in the scoring column, while Nohea King (St. Albans, VT) added two goals and two assists. Alexandre Brands (Woodstock, VT) chipped in two goals and one assist, Korey Counos (St. Albans, VT) two goals, Craig MacDement (Clifton Park, NY) one goal, two assists and David Whitlock (Randolph, VT) one goal, one assist to round out the multi-point scorers.

Castleton controlled play for much of the contest, out-shooting Lyndon State 47-14 and holding a 62-29 edge in ground balls.

Taylor Stout (Burlington, VT) made 13 saves in 45 minutes of action for the Hornets, allowing 17 goals. Brad Collins (Richmond, VT) allowed three goals and stopped one shot in the final period of play.

David DeGhetto (Clifton, NJ) allowed two goals and made three saves in 36 minutes of action, before giving way to David Manghis (Acton, MA) who stopped three and allowed two goals in 24 minutes of action.


Create a free lacrosse website