No. 3 Maryland Shuts Down Fairfield to Improve to 10-3

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - There was no more fitting way for Senior Day to end for the No. 3 University of Maryland men's lacrosse team than with senior Fran Gormley scoring the final goal of the Terps' 17-4 rout of Fairfield on Saturday afternoon at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium.

Maryland (10-3) jumped on the injury-riddled Stags (8-5), who played without three starters, early with six first-quarter goals and never looked back.

Getting things started was the Terps' extra-man unit, which entered the game as the top ranked unit in the nation and, fittingly, it was a senior who got things going for the Terrapins. Senior Adam Sear took a feed from junior Ryan Young and bounced a shot past Stag goalie Joseph Marra, who was the nation's top goalie in both goals-against average and save percentage coming into the game.

Sophomore Joe Cummings, who had his second career hat trick in the game, scored back-to-back goals off feeds from junior Grant Catalino and Young, respectively to push the lead to 3-0 with just under 6:00 in the first.

The Terps' defense, which was smothering all day, keyed the next goal with junior Ryder Bohlander stripping his man of the ball. He then picked up the groundball and pushed it into the Terps' offensive zone. Bohlander made a quick pass to junior Travis Reed, who ripped a shot from the right wing to make it a 4-0 game at the 2:23 mark.

Senior Bryn Holmes won the ensuing face-off with Dan Burns picking up the groundball. Burns pushed the ball up the right alley and tried to feed Holmes with a tricky pass to the front of the crease, but Holmes couldn't come up

with it. The ball skipped through the zone right to Catalino, who scooped it up on the left wing and in one motion ripped a shot into to upper right corner of the goal for a 5-0 Maryland lead.

Maryland's offense was clicking on all cylinders and it showed on the Terps' sixth goal of the quarter, which is the most for the Terrapins in any quarter this season. Maryland passed the ball crisply around the perimeter with it eventually making its way to Reed on the right goal line extended. From there, he laced a quick pass across the crease to Young, who one-timed it into the Fairfield goal.

The first quarter came to a close, but the Maryland onslaught continued in the second quarter. Redshirt junior Eric Boyle scored his first goal as a Terp in an unusual manner. Boyle ripped a hard shot from the left alley that Marra got a piece of, but the ball bounced out of his stick and as Marra went to keep it from trickling into the goal he actually helped push it over the line, giving Maryland a 7-0 lead with 13:31 left in the second.

Cummings finished off his hat trick with just over eight minutes left in the first half when he one-timed a bounce shot from the left goal line extended off of a nice cross-field pass from junior Warren Hansen.

Fairfield finally got on the board at the 6:57 mark of the second on a Brent Adams goal, but the Terps scored the final two goals of the second quarter to push its lead to 10-1 at the half.

Catalino got a tricky, but easy score to make it a 9-1 game with 3:11 to go in the quarter. Fairfield was attempting a clear and Marra brought the ball out of the box toward midfield. He tried to lob a pass over Catalino, but he used all of his 6-foot-5 frame and snagged the ball out of midair. He quickly recognized that Marra was out of the goal and quickly shot from 35 yards out and the ball took one bounce and hit the back of the empty net.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website