Marist Falls to Top-Seeded Siena in MAAC Semifinal

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. The fourth-seeded Marist men's lacrosse team saw its season end Friday night at Tenney Stadium at Leonidoff Field in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Men's Lacrosse Championship semifinals, losing 9-7 to the top-seeded Siena Saints. The Red Foxes close the season 8-7, the most wins for Marist since 2005. Junior attack Corey Zindel (Randolph, N.J.) led Marist with three points on two goals and an assist.

Marist opened the scoring at the 12:18 mark of the first quarter, as Zindel fed Ryan Sharkey (Westfield, N.J.) for the Red Foxes' first tally. Freshman defense Ethan Fox (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) then scored his first goal the season off a Marist clear to put the Red Foxes ahead 2-0 with 11:07 left in the first.

Siena (12-4) got on the board with 8:19 remaining in the opening quarter as Brendan Murphy scored on an extra-man opportunity for his first goal of the season. The Saints then got back-to-back goals from Bryan Neufeld to take a 3-2 lead with 5:24 to go in the first.

The Red Foxes responded with Bob von Hoffman's (Montclair, N.J.) 14th goal of the season, tying the game 3-3 with 4:16 to go in the first quarter. Bryan Hale put Siena ahead 4-3 with 20 seconds left in the quarter with his fifth tally of the season.

Marist controlled the early part of the third quarter, getting three shots on goal before Matt Teichmann (Huntington, N.Y.) tied the game 4-4 with 6:38 remaining in the quarter. Siena took the lead back as Chris Roth assisted on a Ryan Duggan goal with 4:10 to go in the first half to make the score 5-4. Marist tied the game before halftime, as Zindel scored with 51 seconds left in the second quarter for Red Foxes' fifth goal.

Siena scored early in the third quarter, as Neufeld scored his third goal of the game with 13:02 remaining in the third to give the Saints a 6-5 lead. Marist outshot Siena 8-5 in the third quarter, but Saints goalie Brent Herbst made three saves to keep the Red Foxes at five goals. Jordan Loftus scored a key goal for Siena with 51 seconds remaining in the third quarter to put the Saints ahead 7-5. Marist had a chance to get within one before the end of the quarter, but Zindel was held by Herbst to draw a penalty as the third quarter expired.

With Herbst out for at least 30 seconds to start the fourth, Marist had a golden opportunity to get within one goal. While the Red Foxes did not score in the first 30 seconds of the fourth, Connor Rice (Penfield, N.Y.) found Zindel in front of the net to beat Bill Kelly, making the score 7-6 with 14:02 remaining in the game. Siena went back up two, 8-6, with 8:58 to go on Neufeld's fourth goal of the game.

After Matt Francis (Lansdale, Pa.) won the ensuing faceoff for Marist, Kyle Reny (Marblehead, Mass.) scored on an alley dodge to make the score 8-7 with 8:00 to go. Francis then won the faceoff for Marist, giving the Red Foxes a chance to tie the game. Freshman Jim Marks (Camillus, N.Y.) had a shot right in front of the crease, but Herbst made the save. Siena added an insurance goal with 2:30 to go, as Shaun Dunn made the score 9-7. Marist took three shots in the final minutes but could not score, allowing Siena to advance to Sunday's championship game.

Marist outshot Siena 32-27 for the game and held a 28-27 advantage in ground balls. Francis went 14 for 17 on faceoffs with a game-high seven ground balls. Herbst made 13 saves for the Saints, as Sam Altiero (Randolph, N.J.) had nine saves for Marist. Neufeld's four goals led all scorers, as Loftus had a goal and two assists. Siena advances to Sunday's championship game to take on second-seeded Mount St. Mary's at 12:00 p.m. at Tenney Stadium at Leonidoff Field. Mount St. Mary's defeated Manhattan 10-6 in the day's first semifinal.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website