#7 Dickinson Prevails in NCAAs over #20 Ohio Wesleyan

Carlisle, Pa. - The #7-ranked Dickinson College men's lacrosse team advanced to the second round of the 2010 NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship, topping visiting #20-ranked Ohio Wesleyan, 7-3, on Wednesday afternoon.

The Red Devils struck first in what would prove to be a defensive standoff in the first half. First-year Brandon Palladino (Basking Ridge, N.J./Ridge) triggered a fast-break and assisted senior Ted Sirvaitis (Greenwich, Conn./Greenwich) to put the Devils on the board just 1:27 into the game.

That would be the only goal of the first quarter as both defenses held strong in front of solid goaltending on both ends of the field. Dickinson senior Tyler Magann (Easton, Pa./The Hill School) made four saves in the quarter while OWU's Jud Hall (Columbus, Ohio/Upper Arlington) stopped three shots.

Dickinson pulled in front 2-0 at the 9:44 mark when Sam Abramson (Alexandria, Va./Potomac) found the net, scoring off an assist from Chris Dodson (Bethesda, Md./Landon). That also marked Dodson's school record-tying 80th career assist.

The Bishops forced Magann to make six saves in the second quarter, but still couldn't put one past the senior netminder. The teams each tallied nine shots in the second period, but the scored would remain 2-0 as the teams went into halftime.

Hall made three more saves in the second, and the OWU defense continued to play well, keeping pace with Dickinson.

The Devils capitalized on Ohio Wesleyan penalties to open the third period with a pair of goals in the first four minutes. Abramson returned the favor, feeding Dodson on an extra-man goal at the 12:58 mark. Abramson then collected a great pass from Ward Gruppo (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Prep) to stretch the Devils' lead to 4-0 with 11:07 remaining in the third quarter.

The Battling Bishops continued to do just that, scoring back-to-back goals in the final 1:51 to cut the deficit to 4-2 entering the final stanza.

Chris Ehlinger (Radnor, Pa./Radnor) put the Bishops on the board, scoring man-down in transition. OWU claimed the ensuing face-off and Rob Young (Langhorne, Pa./Council Rock South) struck immediately to cut the lead in half at the 1:39 mark.

Wesleyan carried the momentum into the third quarter, pulling within one with 13:12 remaining in the game. Robb Shrader (Worthington, Ohio/Thomas Worthington) made a great move to cut the Devils' lead to 4-3.

Abramson struck again at the 7:36 mark to give the Devils a breathe of air. He added another with 3:19 to play, and Dickinson began smell the end with a three goal advantage.

The Devils won the face-off and the goaltenders traded huge saves as the clock closed in on two minutes. Palladino made a great play to get the ball into the offensive zone and the Devils called a timeout as he was under a lot of pressure by the Bishops.


Create a free lacrosse website