#1 Michigan Edges #4 Chapman to Reach MCLA Final

Denver, Colo. The #1 ranked University of Michigan men's lacrosse team advanced to the final round of the MCLA National Championship tournament with a 12-10 win over #4 Chapman in semifinal action on Friday night (May 14) in Denver, Colorado at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.

Michigan jumped out to a 4-1 lead after a quarter of play and maintained their lead throughout the contest. With the help of some timely goals from a number of contributors, and a solid defensive effort, the Maize and Blue kept their dream alive for a third straight National Championship.

Chapman opened the scoring on the left wing just 59 seconds in the contest, but the Wolverines answered the next time down on the man-up as senior midfielder Jordan Kirshner (Ann Arbor, Mich./Huron) found senior attackman Kevin Zorovich (Massapequa, N.Y./Massapequa) parked just outside the crease as Michigan tied the game at 1-1 at the 11:03 mark of the first.

Senior midfielder Svet Tintchev (Rockville, Md./Bullis) gave the Maize and Blue their first lead of the game on a dodge down the left wing followed by a hard shot to the far-side post. Michigan earned another man-up opportunity at 5:47 of the first on a trip down low, but U-M was unable to capitalize.

Under four minutes later Tintchev scored his second of the game on nearly the exact same goal as his previous tally, racing in down the left side before shooting high against the grain for the 3-1 Michigan lead with 4:33 left in the first.

The Maize and Blue made it 4-1 on a nice feed from freshman midfielder Joe Hrusovksy (Lake Forest, Ill./Lake Forest) who found senior attackman Clark McIntyre (Little Silver, N.J./Rumson Fair Haven) parked right out front for a quick-stick tally as U-M led by three after one quarter of play.

U-M earned a one-minute man up on another tripping call at midfield early in the second quarter, but it was Chapman that made the most of it following a Michigan turnover as the Panthers raced down field on the man-down and scored to cut the lead to 4-2.

Chapman notched another man-down goal immediately following the faceoff, followed by a brief delay as a segment of the light banks shut off.

Following the break, Michigan got rolling again as freshman attackman Thomas Paras (Lakewood, Ohio./St. Ignatius) responded for the Wolverines with a dodge from the left GLE. Senior midfielder David Rogers (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Hills) rebuilt the three-goal U-M lead on a dodge and fire down the right wing at the 7:52 mark of the second.

Chapman responded on their next opportunity on another transition goal right out front led by a Panther long-pole. Rogers responded for Michigan dodging in on the left side before cutting in and diving in front of the cage and firing back-hand for the three-goal lead late in the first half. Michigan possessed the ball for the remainder of the first half, but Rogers was nailed for a one-minute un-sportsmanlike conduct call for shooting the ball after the half-time whistle.

Following the half-time break, the Panthers were able to capitalize 26 seconds in on the man-up, but the Wolverines were able to kill the remainder of the penalty following a faceoff win from senior faceoff specialist David Reinhard (East Lansing, Mich./East Lansing).

Michigan earned a 30-second man-up of their own shortly after, but was unable to capitalize. U-M was able to find the back of the net moments later however on a dodge from behind the cage from senior midfielder Anthony Hrusovsky (Lake Forest, Ill./Lake Forest) as the Maize and Blue regained the three-goal lead early in the second half

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website