#3 Maryland Surges by #14 Hofstra in NCAA First Round

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Ten different Terps scored goals and senior goalie Brian Phipps made 14 saves to lead the No. 3-seeded University of Maryland men's lacrosse team to an 11-8 victory over Hofstra in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium.

Both goalies started out hot with Hofstra's Andrew Gvozden and Phipps each making three saves in the game's opening minutes. The Terps broke through with the game's first goal at the 11:31 mark. After Phipps' third save, junior Brett Schmidt sent an outlet pass to redshirt junior Brian Farrell, who raced untouched down the middle of the field and buried a bounce shot to give Maryland the 1-0 lead.

Photos Courtesy of Ben and James Mackey

A Terps' holding penalty gave the Pride the first half's only extra-man opportunity and Jay Card converted with 8:28 to go in the first to knot the score at 1-1. A terrific heads-up play by junior Grant Catalino gave the Terps a 2-1 lead at the 7:01 mark of the first. A shot by junior Ryan Young went wide and Catalino beat the defender to the ball to retain possession. He then grabbed a ball for a quick restart and scored easily from the left wing.

The lead grew to 3-1 early in the second quarter when freshman John Haus scored from the left wing by ripping a shot into the top right corner of the Pride goal. Both goalies continued to play well in the second quarter following the Haus goal, keeping the game scoreless for the next 8:47. Gvozden made four saves in that span, while Phippsmade a terrific save on a shot by Drew Coholan. The scoreless stretch was finally snapped with Hofstra's Stephen Benz scored an unassisted goal at the 2:59 mark to make it a one-goal game at 3-2.

Redshirt freshman Owen Blye scored with 1:24 left to make it a two-goal Maryland lead off an assist by senior Will Yeatman. But, the play began with a solid screen set by Young, which gave Yeatman enough space to roll around the back right side of the cage and zip a cross-crease pass to Blye, who one-timed the ball after a good backside cut.

It looked like that was how the game would go into halftime, but Card scored his second of the day with seven seconds left on the clock to cut the Maryland lead to one at 4-3. The Pride took the momentum from Card's late goal and scored the first two of the third quarter to take its first, and only, lead of the day. Kevin Ford scored an unassisted goal to tie the game at 4-4 at the 13:08 mark. Hofstra then took the lead on Tim Holman's first goal of the year with 8:40 left in the third.

Even though they were behind for the first time in the game, the Terps were never rattled and came back with three straight scores to take the lead and control of the game. Sophomore Joe Cummings got things rolling with an unassisted goal at the 7:36 mark to tie the game at 5-5. Cummings dodged from near the top of the restraining line down the left alley, switching from right-handed to left-handed before beating Gvozden inside the far post.

Maryland's transition game, which has been superb all season and was again today, was responsible for giving the Terps the lead back with 5:06 left in the quarter. Freshman Jesse Bernhardt forced a Hofstra turnover, picked up the groundball and got the ball to his brother Jake on the breakout. The ball was checked out of Jake Bernhardt's stick as he entered the offensive zone, but redshirt freshman Dan Bruns picked up the loose ball and got it back to Jake Bernhardt, who scored to give Maryland the 6-5 lead.

1 2 3 4    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website