#4 North Carolina Survives Shootout with #12 Delaware

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Fourth-ranked North Carolina got three goals each from Marcus Holman and Sean DeLaney to advance past No. 12 Delaware 14-13 in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Division I at Fetzer Field Sunday night. The game was delayed at the start for one and a half hours because of lightning. The game featured 10 ties and four lead changes.

The Tar Heels advance to the NCAA quarterfinals for the third time in the last four seasons and will face Duke again as they did in 2007 and 2009. That game will be played on Saturday, May 22 at Princeton, N.J. at 2:30 p.m and televised nationally on ESPNU. Fifth-seeded Duke advanced to the quarterfinals Saturday with a lambasting of Johns Hopkins 18-5. Duke has won the previous two quarterfinal matchups against the Tar Heels. UNC won this year's regular season meeting 13-7 in Durham on March 10.

Sunday's matchup between the Tar Heels (13-2) and the Fighting Blue Hens (10-7) was everything it was billed to be, a slugfest between two powerful offensive teams. Game time was delayed from 5:05 p.m. to 6:35 p.m. as severe thunderstorms moved through the area. But the weather cleared and it turned into beautiful weather conditions for both teams.

As it has all season, UNC used a balanced scoring attack to survive the Blue Hens' effort. Coming off the bench, Marcus Holman led the Heels with four points on three goals and an assist. Senior captain Sean DeLaney made his first start since March 27 against Maryland and had three goals for UNC. Thomas Wood, Matt Davie and Chris Layne each had three goals for UNC.

For Davie, it was the second and third goals of his career and Layne added his fourth and fifth goals of the season. Jimmy Dunster also scored for UNC and Mark Staines had the game-winning goal with 4:52 left in the fourth quarter. Eight of UNC's goals and four of its assists came from non-starters. Besides scoring the game-winning goal, Staines also had a team high five ground balls, sharing that acclaim with Billy Bitter, and Staines also won 7 of 12 face-offs.

Anthony Ruiz had the first hat trick in his career to lead Delaware as he led the Blue Hens with four goals. Martin Cahill had three goals for UD and D.J. Widlake had two goals and two assists. Grant Kaleikau added two goals and an assist for Delaware.

Curtis Dickson, Delaware's leading scorer with 62 goals and 13 assists, was held to two assists by UNC defenseman Michael Jarvis, although he did draw three penalties against Jarvis. Dickson, a Tewaaraton Award finalist, did extend his point scoring streak to 57 straight games but he saw his goal-scoring streak halted at 25 games. He had not been shutout in the goal department since a Delaware loss to Georgetown in March 2009.

Delaware outshot the Tar Heels 45-43 and won 18 of 30 face-offs. UNC won the ground ball battle 44-38. The Tar Heels forced UD into 20 turnovers while Carolina made 12. UNC also excelled in the clearing game, succeeding on all 18 of its clear attempts. Meanwhile, Delaware failed on seven of 21. Delaware failed on five first quarter clears which helped the Tar Heels stay in the game early as the two teams combined for 12 goals in the opening 15 minutes.

Delaware benefitted from UNC's fouling, scoring on its first six extra-man opportunities before the Tar Heels shutout out the Blue Hens on their final three EMO attempts. UNC was one for three on the EMO.

In the goal, Noah Fossner made 12 saves overall, nine in the first half. Chris Madalon made 14 saves, including seven in the second half when the Tar Heels outscored the Fighting Blue Hens 7-6.

1 2 3 4 5    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website