No. 15 Denison Opens with Win at Mount St. Joseph

The No. 15 Big Red outscored Mount St. Joseph 5-1 in the opening quarter en route to a 14-7 victory over the Lions in the 2011 lid-lifter from Cincinnati, Ohio. Colin Molloy (Stamford, Conn./Fairfield Prep) led Denison with a career-high five goals. Senior Emmett Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo./Air Academy) added three scores.

The first goal of the new season would be scored by a newcomer just 2:02 into the season. First-year Chapin Speidel (Charlottesville, Va./St. Anne's Belfield) sent the first shot of the game past MSJ goalie Cody Nolan after a turnover by the Lions gave the ball back to the Big Red.

Another unforced error by Mount St. Joseph would lead to DU's second goal just over a minute later. Molloy would convert his first of five goals on the day which gave DU a 2-0 lead with 11:13 to play. The Lions would answer three minutes later when Mike Murphy scored on his team's second shot of the contest.

The Big Red would manage to quell any MSJ momentum by scoring the next five goals, resulting in a commanding 7-1 lead with 10:08 to play in the second quarter. During that five-goal run the Big Red won all but one face-off. In fact, that would become the story of the game as the Big Red dominated the face-off X with a 21 for 25 performance. Junior defenseman Chris Kozlowski (Wilton, Conn./Wilton) was perfect in his nine attempts. That also resulted in a team-high seven ground balls for Kozlowski. First-year Chip Phillips (Alexandria, Va./St. Stephens & St. Agnes) was 8 for 12 which ended in four ground balls.

Despite giving up two second quarter goals to Anderson Morgan, the Big Red took an 8-3 lead into the second half. Things would get a little too close for comfort in the third period after Lion attackman Ryan Gallagher scored to trim the Denison lead to four, at 9-5, with 6:31 to play.

Denison would take the ensuing face-off and would proceed to come up empty on their next eight shot attempts. Three of those eight attempts resulted in saves for Lions back-up goalie Colin McSharar and one would hit the crossbar. Denison's luck would change when Molloy buried his fourth goal of the game with 1:49 to play in the third, giving Denison a 10-5 lead.

That Molloy goal would spark a four-goal run that would put DU up 13-5 with just over 11 minutes to play in the game. Molloy ended the day with five goals off 10 shot attempts. Jones posted the 17th hat-trick of his career by scoring three goals off 11 shot attempts. Senior Kyle Brown (Glenview, Ill./New Trier) scored one goal in the third quarter while assisting on Jones' goal which ended the third quarter.

Mount St. Joseph was led by Morgan who scored three goals with one assist off seven shots. Nolan, their starting goalie, posted nine saves while allowing eight goals in 30 minutes. McSharar notched seven saves while giving up six goals in 30 minutes.

Gregg Shannon (Lindenhurst, N.Y./St. Anthony's) played all 60 minutes in goal for the Big Red. The junior recorded four saves while allowing seven goals.

As a team, the Big Red were 1 for 3 in extra-man with their lone man-up goal coming from junior Zach Walsh (Mountain Lakes, N.J./Mountain Lakes) in the second quarter. DU committed only seven turnovers compared to 16 for the Lions and the Big Red were +12 in the ground ball category.

The win moves Denison's record to 1-0 and sets the stage for next Saturday's clash with Washington & Lee (0-1). DU will host the Generals in a 1:00 p.m. clash from Deeds-Field Piper Stadium.


Create a free lacrosse website