Hartwick Routs Mount Saint Mary in Opener

ONEONTA, NY Fourteen Hartwick players made it into the scoring column on Wednesday as the Hawks rolled over visiting Mount Saint Mary College, 24-4, in the season opener for both teams. The 20-goal margin of the victory is the largest for the Hawks since a 28-4 win over Centenary in 2004.

Freshman Brian Finnegan (East Northport, NY/Northport), who was playing in his first collegiate game, led the Hawks with five goals and an assist. Sophomore Harry Hughes (Holtsville, NY/Sachem East) added four goals and an assist, and classmate Joe Shields (Loudonville, NY/Shaker) notched three goals and two helpers.

Hartwick controlled the game from the opening face-off. Two goals each from Hughes and Finnegan helped 'Wick to a 6-0 lead at the end of the first quarter. Five different Hawks tallied in the second quarter as the hosts led by an 11-0 margin at halftime.

After five more Hawk goals, Mount Saint Mary broke up the shutout bid with 5:59 left in the third quarter. The Knights would score three of the next six goals to make it a 19-4 game, but the Blue and White scored the last five goals of the game for the final 24-4 margin.

The Hawks outshot the Knights 56-12 in the game and won the ground ball battle, 55-15. 'Wick also won 25 of 32 face-offs.

Freshman Nick Triano (North Andover, MA/St. Johns Prep) recorded the victory in goal. He was called upon to make just one save. Classmate Phil Schaefer (Holbrook, NY/Sachem North) added a goal and notched a game-high four assists. Pat Connolly (Wantagh, NY/Wantagh) contributed two tallies on the day, and Jesse Grimm (Farmingville, NY/Sachem East), Max Schermerhorn (Concord, MA/Duxbury), Ian Skudin (Long Beach, NY/Long Beach), and Mike Vaglica (Newton, MA/Newton North) each notched a goal and an assist. Grimm also won 18 face-offs and recorded a game-high 11 ground balls.

The Knights were led by Andrew Pullen's two goals. Nick Findlay added a goal and one helper. Oneonta native Shawn Cobstill recorded 17 saves in the MSMC goal.

Hartwick is off until Saturday, March 5th. The Hawks travel to Babson for a 1:00 p.m. game.


Create a free lacrosse website