#10 Simon Fraser Falls to #4 Brigham Young

PROVO, UT (February 27, 2011) Despite holding first half leads of 4-3 and 5-4, the tenth ranked Simon Fraser Clan could not keep pace with BYU in the second half, losing 16-8 to the No. 4 Cougars.

Attackman Colton Dow (Coquitlam, BC/Heritage Woods Secondary) helped lead the Fraser offense with 4 assists, while sophomore Rick Bezuidenhout (Campbell River, BC/Timberline Secondary) 2g, 1a and freshmen Calvin Craig (Coquitlam, BC/Gleneagle Secondary) 2g and Cory Koesdibyo (Nanaimo, BC/Dover Bay Secondary) 2g each chipped in with multi-goal performances. The game was played in front of approximately 300 fans who braved snowy conditions at the BYU North Field in Provo, Utah.

BYU's Drew Shumway (South Jordan, UT/Bingham High School) opened the scoring, beating his man from X after the Cougars' had controlled possession to start the game. It would not take Fraser long to get on the board, as freshman Cory Koesdibyo answered back with his first of the contest to equal the score at 1-1.

BYU would continue to be in command of the ball early in the first quarter as goals by Patrick Matheson (Holliday, UT/Olympus High School) and Andrew Harding (Bethesda, MD/Walt Whitman High School) put the Cougars up 3-1. Overcoming any early anxiety, the Clan would then go on a two-goal run of their own as Dow assisted on goals from Bezuidenhout and Chris Tessarolo (New Westminster, BC/New Westminster Secondary) to knot the teams at 3-3 after 15 minutes.

Simon Fraser would continue to ride some initial momentum at the outset of the second quarter with Dow continuing to manage the SFU offense. A man-up opportunity would see Dow feed fellow attack Calvin Craig to give the Clan a 1-goal advantage. Harding would then even the score at 4-4, before Dow set-up Bezuidenhout for his game-high fourth assist and another Fraser lead at 5-4.

Looking to put an end to their young opponents growing confidence, BYU midfielder Tyler Monteath would spark a 3-goal run to turn the tides in the Cougars favor and put BYU up by two. Clan sophomore Eric Ransom (Sherwood Park, AB/Bev Facey High School) closed the gap back to one, until Brian Mathay (Centennial, CO/Heritage High School) completed the first half scoring for an 8-6 BYU lead at the break.

With snow covering the field for all of the first half, the entire playing surface would be plowed at half-time, an impressive feat in just under 10 minutes! The freshly groomed surface would not seem to work in the Clan's favor as a number of untimely breakdowns would promote a 4-goal BYU advance that quickly extended the Cougar lead to 12-6. Koesdibyo scored his second of the game to round out the third quarter and narrow the SFU deficit to five at 12-7.

BYU would continue to monopolize the board in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Clan 4-1 and giving the Cougars' an 8-2 second half advantage for a final score of 16-8.

After playing two out of conference opponents back-to-back, Simon Fraser will now have five days off before facing their third straight ranked opponent in No. 7 Michigan State on Friday, March 4. The neutral site match-up will be played at Kiggins Bowl in Vancouver, Washington.

The Clan will return home immediately following the contest for their next home game on Saturday, March 5 versus Boise State at Mercer Stadium in New Westminster, BC. Brigham Young will also be back in action on March 4 as they square off against the No. 8 Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs in their second game of a four game home-stand.


Create a free lacrosse website