No. 9 Massachusetts Holds off No. 20 Brown

AMHERST, Mass. - Freshman Connor Mooney tallied the first-career hat trick of his career to lead No. 9 UMass to its fourth win a row to start 2011, 9-6 over No. 20 Brown at Garber Field. Anthony Biscardi also scored three and Steve D'Amario tallied twice while Ryan Hantverk netted the goal that put UMass ahead for good 48 seconds into the second half.

With the game tied 4-4 at halftime, UMass scored the first three goals of the second half to put the game out of reach. After Hantverk scored on a laser early in the third, Mooney netted his second of the game off a pass from Will Manny (three assists). Biscardi took a feed from D'Amario for a three-goal bulge at 7-4 with 3:23 left in the third.

Mooney and Biscardi iced the game in the fourth with tallies less than two minute apart. Parker Brown's second goal of the game, made the final 9-6. UMass played solid defense late to keep the Bears at bay.



Face-off man Greg Rushing was outstanding yet again, as he won 10 of 14 and scooped a career-high 13 groundballs.

Goalie Tim McCormack made 10 saves to backstop a UMass defense that was outstanding yet again. Sophomore Jake Smith caused a career-high five turnovers and both Tom Celentani and Greg Anderson each forced a pair of turnovers.

UMass outshot Brown, 37-27 and outgroundballed the Bears, 34-25.

UMass returns to action on Tuesday at Albany, in a 3:00 p.m. face-off.

* * * *

Amherst, Mass. - The 50th meeting between #20 Brown and #9 UMass, considered New England's greatest lacrosse rivalry, met all expectations Saturday afternoon at Garbor Field. UMass broke open a 4-4 halftime tie with three straight third quarter goals to take control and continue on to a 9-6 win over the Bears at Garbor Field.

The two teams battled to a stalemate in the opening 30 minutes, with the game tied, 2-2, after the opening quarter, and 4-4 at intermission. Senior Andrew Feinberg and junior Rob Schlesinger scored first quarter goals for the Bears, while junior Parker Brown and sophomore George Sherman netted second quarter goals, Sherman's just two seconds before the halftime horn.

UMass took control in the third quarter on goals by Ryan Hantverk, Connor Mooney and Anthony Biscardi to open up a 7-4 advantage with 3:23 left in the period. Sherman's second goal of the game with 12 seconds left stopped the Minutemen's momentum, and Brown trailed 7-5 after three quarters. UMass peppered the Brown goal with 14 third quarter shots.

Goals by Mooney and Biscardi gave UMass a 9-5 fourth quarter lead with 9:51 remaining. Parker Brown scored the Bears' final goal with 7:43 left in the game to pull to within 9-6 of the Minutemen.

Brown kept the game close with the stellar play of senior goalie Matt Chriss, as the Bears were out-shot by a 37-27 margin. Chriss finished with 16 saves, including six in the third quarter alone.

Parker Brown and Sherman led the Bears with two goals each, while senior Teddy Daiber added two assists. Feinberg added an assist to go with his goal. Face-offs once again proved to be the Achilles heel of the Bears, with UMass holding a 12-7 advantage.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website