No. 1 Michigan Rolls Past Ohio for First CCLA Win

Athens, Ohio On Saturday, March 12, #1 Michigan defeated Ohio University by a score of 15-6 in the Wolverines' first CCLA game of the year. The Maize and Blue opened up a 6-0 lead five minutes into the game and never looked back despite some sloppy play throughout, earning their fifth win of the season and fourth on the road.

Michigan opened the scoring just :52 seconds into the game on a quick-stick goal from senior attackman Trevor Yealy (Pittsburgh, Penn./Upper St. Claire), followed by four more in quick succession including two from sophomore attackman Thomas Paras (Lakewood, Ohio/St. Ignatius) and Yealy and one from sophomore attackman Ryan Dutton-O'Hara (Mt. Airy, MD./Urbana St. Johns) all in the span of two minutes.

With 12:08 left in the first, the Wolverines already led by a score of 5-0, with all of the goals coming from just outside the crease. Yealy added his third at the 10:25 mark on another goal from just outside the crease, this time fed by sophomore midfielder Willie Steenland (Minneapolis, Minn./The Blake School).

Following a successful ride late in the first quarter, freshman long-stick midfielder Brett Moscati (Greenwich, CT./Brunswick School) intercepted a pass and fed Yealy right out front for his fourth goal of the first quarter as Michigan led 7-0 after 15 minutes.

Freshman attackman Ryan Snyder (Houston, Texas/Episcopal) got the Wolverines rolling again in the second quarter, taking a feed from senior midfielder Roy Ichikawa (San Diego, Calif./Torrey Pines) on the edge of the crease and burying the shot for his second of the year as U-M increased their lead to 8-0 four minutes into the second quarter. Sophomore midfielder Joe Hrusovsky (Lake Forest, Ill./Lake Forest) added his first of the game two minutes later on a wrap-around goal from the right wing.

After multiple possessions for both squads, Ohio University finally got on the board with 1:41 left in the second quarter on a shot from just out front following a dodge from the left wing. OU added another following a failed clear attempt from Michigan and a timeout to set up their final push of the first half. A shot from the left wing found its way just inside the near-side elbow as Michigan led 9-2 after a half of play.

Sloppy play highlighted the start of the third quarter with both teams turning the ball over during the first five minutes, but it was Yealy from Steenland again that got Michigan on the board first in the third quarter as U-M led 10-2 with nine minutes left in the quarter. Yealy banged home his sixth just over a minute later on a dodge and finish from just outside the crease, followed by a long stretch of scoreless play for both teams.

Paras added his third at the 2:10 mark of the third on an unassisted tally to wrap up the scoring in the period as U-M took a 12-2 lead into the final frame.

The Bobcats scored first in the fourth on a transition tally to cut the lead to 12-3 under a minute in but Paras quickly responded for the Maize and Blue, finishing a pass from sophomore attackman Matt Joseph (Westlake, Ohio/St. Ignatius) for his fourth of the game and the 13-3 Michigan lead. Moments later, sophomore attackman Zach Dauch (Bloomfield Hills, Mich./Lahser) buried his first goal of his career on a transition goal following a successful ride as U-M built their largest lead of the game.

Following two OU goals at 8:11 and 4:51 respectively, the Wolverines closed out the scoring on another goal from Dauch, this time on a long dodge that resulted in an open chance on the right wing. Dauch buried the shot low to the far post as U-M walked away with the 15-5 win.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website