Huge 2nd half Sends #14 Denison Past St. Mary's

After scoring just one goal in the first 15 minutes of play the Big Red exploded for 15 goals over the final three quarters resulting in a commanding 16-4 victory for No. 14 Denison against St. Mary's (Md.) from Severn School in Severna Park, Md.

Aside from the impressive output by the DU offense, the Big Red defense got a major lift from sophomore goalie Nick Petracca (Manhassett, N.Y./Loomis Chaffee), who in his first collegiate start, posted 15 saves while facing 40 shots from the Seahawk offense.

Leading 4-2 late in the second quarter Denison began to pull away when Emmett Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo./Air Academy) scored off a pass from Nick Farrell (New York, N.Y./The Millbrook School) with 3:10 to play in the first half. Senior attack Kyle Brown (Glenview, Ill./New Trier) would score his first of three goals on the day with just eight seconds left in the half, lifting Denison to a 6-2 lead after 30 minutes.

That momentum would carry over into the second half as Zach Walsh (Mountain Lakes, N.J./Mountain Lakes) and Davis Lukens (Marietta, Ga./Holy Innocents) started things off with goals off assists from Tanner Smith (Boxford, Mass./Brooks School). The Seahawks would break that 4-goal run by the Big Red, trimming the lead to 8-3 but with nine minutes left in the third quarter, Brown's second goal would open the flood gates. DU would rattle off eight-straight goals that would add up to a 16-4 final.

The Big Red were outshot 40-37 but DU was efficient, scoring on 43 percent of their shot attempts. Petracca posted 15 of the team's 17 saves. Gregg Shannon (Lindenhurst, N.Y./St. Anthony's) turned in a pair of saves in just over five minutes of action. In extra-man situations DU was 1 for 3. In the second quarter, Hardt posted the team's first short-handed goal of the season off a St. Mary's turnover.

Eleven different Denison players scored a goal and Brown led the way with a hat trick off seven shots. Smith posted one goal and three assists and Farrell was the defensive leader with four caused turnovers, three ground balls and one assist.

Denison improves to 3-1 and will close out their spring break trip on Sunday (March 20) when they take on U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Johns Hopkins at 12:00 p.m.

* * * *

Severna Park, Md. St. Mary's pretty much controlled every statistical category in Wednesday's matchup with No. 14 Denison University except for the score, as Denison (3-1) came away with a 16-4 non-conference victory over the Seahawks (1-4) on neutral ground at Severn School's Lynch Field. Three straight five-goal quarters helped Denison secure the win as well as four Big Red players recording multiple-goal efforts.

St. Mary's played the nationally-ranked Big Red tough in the first period as junior Pat Simpson (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) turned away five of Denison's nine shots. Junior midfielder Alex Hardt (Dallas, Texas) finally broke through the Seahawk defense with just 1:28 remaining in the first quarter.

The Big Red notched the first two goals of the second stanza to go up three goals to none at 8:34 before senior attackman Chris Becraft (Rockville, Md./Good Counsel) notched his first tally of the season nearly two minutes later off an assist by senior midfielder Chris Morihlatko (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) to put St. Mary's on the board. Denison picked up a man-down goal to keep the three-goal cushion before senior midfielder Will Bell (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) converted a pass from senior attackman Dennis Rosson (Severna Park, Md./Severn) at 3:39 to cut the lead back to two.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website