Trinity Glides by Western Connecticut to Go 2-0

Danbury, Conn. - Senior attackman Kevin Looby (Kansas City, Mo.) had two goals and an assist and sophomore Peter Johnson (Riverside, Conn.) made 14 saves in goal and scooped a team-high six ground balls to lead visiting Trinity to a 12-4 win over Western Connecticut this afternoon. Trinity improves to 2-0, while the Colonials fall to 2-3.

After nearly seven minutes of scoreless play, Trinity got on the board first when sophomore attackman Drew Grombala (Cincinnati, Ohio) shot low at Colonial junior goalie Tyler Martone (Cheshire, Conn.) and the ball scooted off the Martone and trickled into the net.

Western Connecticut tied the game with just under seven minutes left in the opening quarter on a quick shot from close in traffic by junior midfielder Ryan Gillis (Norwich, Conn.) after dropping the initial pass from the wing by classmate J.C. Flaherty (Old Lyme, Conn.).

The Colonials led, 3-2, after a tally by freshman attackman Ryan Foster (Ledyard, Conn.) at 10:24 of the second quarter, but the Bantams rattled off the next seven scores and held the home team scoreless until less than 10 minutes remained in the contest.

Trinity, whose first four goals made contact with Martone before crossing the goal line, tied the game at 3-3 when sophomore attackman Nick Shaheen (Williamsburg, Mass.) fed senior captain middie Max Alderman (Sudbury, Mass.) on one goal and rocketed in the go-ahead score from the right wing just 1:05 apart in the middle of the second stanza. Looby scored on a fastbreak from Alderman with two seconds left to keep the momentum in Trinity's favor at the break.

Grombala and sophomore midfielder Steven Manning (Tyngsboro, Mass.) each joined Looby with two goals for Trinity, while Shaheen had a goal and two assists, senior attackman Michael Ritter (Winnetka, Ill.) recorded two assists, and Alderman and sophomore attackman Jeff Hebert (Cornwall, Ontario) registered a goal and an assist apiece.

Gillis led the Colonials with two goals while Flaherty had a goal and an assist. Martone and junior Max Beitel (Newtown, Conn.) combined to make eight saves for Western Connecticut, while junior Eric Small (Glastonbury, Conn.) won 13 of 19 face-offs for the Colonials. Western Connecticut held a 36-34 advantage in shots and the ground ball battle was a draw at 35-35, and the Colonials did not commit a penalty until 16 seconds left in the game.


Create a free lacrosse website