Hot Start Propels #1 Wolverines Past #4 Cougars

Ann Arbor, MI On a beautiful Friday night in Ann Arbor, #1-ranked Michigan defeated 4th-ranked Brigham Young 16-6 at Oosterbaan Fieldhouse en-route to U-M's sixth win of the season. The Maize and Blue came out firing, opening up an eventual 9-0 lead late in the second quarter. Michigan cruised down the stretch, as BYU never trailed by fewer than six goals.

BYU lost the opening faceoff but quickly regained possession for multiple offensive opportunities until U-M eventually gained possession themselves and set up in the offensive zone. Opening the scoring was freshman midfielder Doug Bryant (Princeton, NJ - Princeton), his first as a Wolverine, on an unassisted blast midway up the left wing. On a successful clear, junior midfielder Alex Vasileff (Birmingham, MI - Seaholm) fed sophomore attackman Thomas Paras (Lakewood, OH St. Ignatius) on a low blast from the crease for the quick 2-0 lead five minutes in.

Adding the third Michigan goal was Bryant for his second of the night on a pass behind the net from senior attackman Chad Carroll (Cincinnati, OH St. Xavier High). Carroll went on to add three goals of his own over the next four minutes for a 6-0 Wolverine lead at the end of the first quarter.

Momentum stayed with the home team in the second quarter as the Wolverines continued to control the ball. At 10:46, sophomore midfielder Joe Hrusovsky (Lake Forest, IL Lake Forest) netted a blast off a rebound from Vasileff that rolled to the top of the box for his first of the game. The Wolverines clawed at the Cougars throughout the quarter shutting down clears, getting opportunities on offense and beating their opponent to loose groundballs.

Senior attackman Trevor Yealy (Pittsburgh, PA Upper St. Clair) capitalized with a 5-yard blast straight out in front of the crease on a dropped outlet pass on BYU's failed clear at 6:56 of the second. Yealy netted his second three minutes later as BYU's goaltender fumbled the ball for another crease goal on an almost identical play. The Cougars netted back-to-back goals over the final three minutes of the half however to get on the board and trim Michigan's 9-2 lead after 30 minutes.

Starting the second half was senior goaltender Andrew Fowler (Grosse Pointe, MI Hotchkiss, CT) replacing senior goaltender Mark Stone (Greenwood Village, CO Cherry Creek) as the Wolverines executed a planned goaltender swap as they have all season. The Cougars came out strong, scoring their first just 17 seconds into the quarter due to a Wolverine defensive breakdown. Just over two minutes later Bryant beat his defender on a drive from the mid wing his third and first hat trick as a Wolverine, lifting the team to a 10-3 lead.

At 8:51 in the third, junior midfielder Sean Sutton (Greenwich, CT - Greenwich) found the twine on a feed from Hrusovsky on the transition before the Cougars added their fourth goal of the game minutes later trying to gain momentum late in the third. Michigan was quick to stop the threat however. As the Wolverines executed their offense, Yealy scored his third on a textbook feed from transfer sophomore attackman Ryan Dutton-O'Hara (Mount Airy, MD Urbana St. John's) for the final goal of the quarter increasing Michigan's lead to 12-4 going into the final frame.

The boys in blue stayed with their game plan showing poise and determination on both sides of the ball as the fourth quarter got underway. Ending one of BYU's possession early was junior defender Austin Swaney (Grand Rapids, MI East Grand Rapids) winning a groundball at midfield and driving to the net to score on a hard blast for his second of the season.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website