Colby-Sawyer Outlasts Nichols in Overtime

DUDLEY, Mass. (Mar. 19) Colby-Sawyer College junior attacker Brittney Murphy (Woburn, Mass.) scored her fifth goal of the game with 1:54 left in overtime to lift the Chargers to a 15-14 victory over Nichols in the The Commonwealth Coast Conference opener for both teams Saturday afternoon at Vendetti Field. Murphy Capped a late three-goal run by the Chargers that helped them improve to 2-3 overall. Nichols stands at 0-1 overall.

Nichols was led by four goals from first year attacker Toni Minelli (Newington, Conn.) and three goals and five assists from junior attacker Krista-Jean Forand (Plymouth, Mass.). Brittany Tremont (Guilford, Conn.), Chelsea Shaughnessy (Halifax, Mass.) and Kathleen Dudziak (Williamstown, Mass.) added two goals apiece, while Melanie Chhouy (Pepperell, Mass.) recorded two points with a goal and an assist.

Murphy had six points for the Chargers, while Laurel Bauer (Bradford, N.H.) had three goals including two in the final five minutes of regulation. Katie Rial (Chester Springs, Pa.), Molly Prudden (Andover, Mass.) and Ashley Reis (Peterborough, N.H.) each added two goals and an assist.

Colby-Sawyer held a 5-1 lead by the 11:37 mark, but Nichols rattled of four-straight to knot it up on a Dudziak free position shot by the 4:53 mark. After Bauer edged the Chargers ahead, 6-5, the Bison scored three goals in a 1:14 span, including two identical setups from Forand to Shaughnessy to take their first lead of the game. Rial cut the lead to one with 10 seconds left in the half, leaving the Bison to an 8-7 advantage at the break.

The teams traded goals in the early going of the second half before Nichols went on another three-goal spree to hold a 12-9 lead by 20:07. Again the teams traded goals until Nichols was saddled with a red card at the 14:00 mark, forcing the Bison to play down a player for the remainder of the game.

Prudden and Murphy potted two quick goals to cut the Bison's lead to one, 13-12, with less than 10 minutes left in regulation before Chhouy fed Forand from behind the net to regain the two-goal advantage with 7:06 left to play. Bauer struck twice in a span of a minute, however, tying it up at 4:17 remaining on the clock.

Bauer took an initial shot to set up the Chargers' overtime goal, with Reis scooping up the groundball and passing to Murphy for the score. Nichols had several opportunities to even the score late, including when Tremont forced a Chargers' turnover in Nichols territory and carried it all the way down the field, but was denied by Colby-Sawyer netminder Liz Malefant (Siasconset, Mass.).

Malefant made three big saves down the stretch, including on a Bison free-position shot with six seconds on the clock. She finished with 17 in the game. Her counterpart, Jennifer Brigham (Bristol, R.I.) stopped 11 shots.

Nichols is back in action on Monday in a 7:00 p.m. home game against Lasell. Colby-Sawyer travels to New England College Wednesday for a 6:00 p.m. game.


Create a free lacrosse website