Coast Guard Doubles Up Worcester Tech

New London, Conn. On Wednesday, Coast Guard defeated Worcester Tech 10-5 in Worcester, Mass. In their third PCLL conference game of the year, the Orange and Navy opened up a 4-1 lead in the first quarter and never looked back, earning their fourth win of the season third on the road.

The Bears were "asleep at the wheel" as the game started, and WPI took advantage scoring just 52 seconds into the game. The Bears quickly woke-up and regrouped as 3/c Austin English (Kent Island, Md./Kent Island) scored off of a fast break on a nice assist from 1/c Kyle Ennis (Mayo, Md./Dematha) to even things at 1-1.

The Bears scored two more goals in quick succession on nearly identical plays as 4/c Eric (EJ) Schmid (Robbinsville, NJ/Robbinsville) freed himself twice on great individual efforts to draw the slide and fed the crease for two quick-stick goals by 1/c attackman Matt Chase (Baltimore, Md./Lochraven). It was Chase that got in the giving mood next making a nice pass to "Old Bay" partner 2/c Nick Zablotny (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) who scored on another goal from just outside the crease to end first quarter at 4-1.

Sloppy play highlighted the second quarter with both teams turning the ball over and earning time in the penalty box. After multiple possessions for both squads, WPI finally got on the board with 1:41 left in the second quarter on a shot from just out front following a dodge from the left wing and Coast Guard led 4-2 after a half of play.

Matt Chase carried his giving mood into the second half finding 1/c midfielder Jimmy McCormack (Goshen, NY/Goshen) outside the crease just 1:59 into the third quarter to make it 5-2. Five minutes later, 4/c Stuart Carley (Houston, Texas/James E. Taylor) executed a crafty split dodge and came around the goal untouched to put Coast Guard up 6-2. The Engineers scored next on a transition tally to cut the lead to 6-3. 1/c Kyle Ennis got the Bears rolling again on an extra man opportunity, burying an outside shot for his first goal of the evening as Coast Guard increased their lead to 7-3.

The Bears were man-up to start the fourth quarter and Chase scored on a nice jump shot from the middle to make it 8-3 Coast Guard just 42 seconds into the final quarter. Following two WPI goals at 8:11 and 4:51 respectively, the Bears closed out the scoring on another goal from Chase, this time on a long dodge that resulted in an open chance on the right wing. Ennis banged home his second goal just over a minute later on a dodge and finish from the outside as Coast Guard walked away with the 10-5 win.

The Bears will now travel to New Haven, Connecticut for a tough road contest against the Chargers of the University of New Haven on Sunday, March 27 at DellaCamera Stadium at 2:00 pm EST.


Create a free lacrosse website