No. 8 Roanoke Escapes Randolph-Macon in OT

ASHLAND, Va. -- Roanoke escaped upset-minded Randolph-Macon with a 12-11 overtime win in ODAC action Saturday afternoon. The Maroons, ranked eighth in the USILA Coaches Poll, improved to 6-3 overall, 2-0 in the ODAC. The Yellow Jackets slipped to 6-3, 0-2 in the conference standings.

Drew Manley led the charge after a R-MC failed attempt on the offensive end and found Richard Lachlan, who fired in the game-winner with 1:27 left in the extra period. Manley led the Maroons with two assists and three caused turnovers.

Mike Hayden paced the Maroons' attack with four goals while Lachlan and Trey Keeley chipped in with three goals apiece. Justin Tuma was the story of the day for Roanoke, breaking the single-game record with 19 groundballs and won 17 of 23 face-offs.

Roanoke scored three of the first four goals of the game before Randolph-Macon cut the lead to one four minutes later on a goal from Jason Andrews to make it, 3-2. Keeley and Hayden scored the first two goals of the second quarter for the Maroons to extend the advantage to 5-2.

Butler found the back of the net with 11:23 to play in the second that sparked a 3-0 run Yellow Jacket run. In a contest that had six ties, Tyler Midwinter scored a man-up goal on an Andrew's pass before Tim Rowe tied the game at 5-5 with a score at the 3:45 mark.

Roanoke scored three goals in the first two minutes of the third quarter to retake the lead at 8-5. Hayden tallied the first two scores of the run before Lachlan capped it on a pass from Jeff Keating with 13:17 to go.

R-MC responded quickly with four unanswered Yellow Jacket goals. Butler capped the outburst with an unassisted score to give the Yellow Jackets a 9-8 edge with 4:28 left in the third.

After an own goal tied the game at 9-9, Keeley's pass from Brendan Nizolek found the back of the net to put the Maroons back on top, 10-9 heading into the final period.

Butler retied the game at the eight-minute mark, but Lachlan put the Maroons ahead once again with 2:32 left in regulation. Andrews found Midwinter who fired the equalizer which forced overtime with the score deadlocked at 11-11.

Roanoke held a 52-39 advantage in shots and edged Randolph-Macon 56-42 in groundballs. The Maroons won 17 of 24 face-offs and were successful in 16 of 20 clear attempts. The Yellow Jackets were 18-of29 in that category.

The Yellow Jackets were led offensively by Midwinter who finished with three goals and two assists. Justin Bulter scored three times while Andrews notched two goals and two assists. Jason Crawford faced 52 shots in goal, making 21 saves in over 63 minutes.

Charles Pease and Mike Hardon combined for eight saves on the day for Roanoke.

The men return to action next Saturday as they host Virginia Wesleyan in ODAC action. Game time is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. at Kerr Stadium.


Create a free lacrosse website