Upson's OT Goal Leads Penguins Past Grand Canyon

ORINDA, Calif. - Despite surrendering a two-goal lead to Grand Canyon late in regulation, Dominican University answered in overtime when junior attackman Reed Upson scored the golden goal, his sixth score of the day. The Penguins earned the 12-11 victory at Miramonte HS to improve to 3-0 in WILA play.

In the first quarter, Dominican (3-5) opened the scoring with awareness in the offensive zone. After a saved shot from redshirt freshman middie Dalton Copeland, senior middie Emmett Faricy took the rebound and put the Penguins on the board. Shortly after Faricy's goal, the Penguins increased the lead with redshirt freshman Blake Crossman's goal from 15 yards out.

However, the Antelopes (2-6/2-2) quickly turned the tables. Junior midfielder Jacob Hippensteel put GCU on the board with a goal after the ball was passed from sophomore defender Andreas Parra. In a series of unfortunate events, GCU tied the game at 2-2. On a clearing attempt, the ball in front of the Penguins' net was up for grabs. Behind sophomore goalkeeper Ryan Williams, GCU sophomore midfielder Kahai Sibley scooped up the loose ball and put it in the net.

The 'Lopes then took the lead in the first quarter on a goal from senior attacker Konner Klein. With only 8.5 seconds left in the first quarter, Dominican didn't let GCU pull awa and answered with a Copeland goal that tied the match at 3-3.

The second quarter didn't start well for the Penguins. After a cross-check penalty to Crossman, freshman midfielder Josh Drummond scored to put GCU back in front 4-3. Dominican evened the match again halfway through the second quarter when Upson got past Andrew Hunter for an easy goal off of a clean corner pass from Faricy. The Penguins had a two-man advantage off GCU penalties from Brad Lattanzio and Richard Hunter, and capitalized. Upson scored his second goal on the day and put Dominican in front.

Less than two minutes into the second half, Crossman scored his second goal, extending the Dominican lead for to 6-4. The lead grew again when Upson scored his third goal in front of the 'Lopes net off a pass from sophomore middie Jim Little.

Drummond scored his second goal for GCU with 8:08 remaining in the third quarter, just as rain started falling. Drummond followed up with another goal shortly thereafter, bringing the 'Lopes closer. But Upson was not done and he extended the Penguin lead to 8-6.

GCU tied the game at 8-8 on goals from Klein late in the third quarter and Drummond early in the fourth quarter. With the game tied, Upson scored again with 10:06 remaining in the match. Immediately off the faceoff, the Penguins charged toward the net and it paid dividends. Faricy scored his second goal on the day only six seconds after Upson's goal and extended the Penguin lead to 10-8.

Sibley brought the 'Lopes within a goal, but freshman middie Brock Beall got it back for the Penguins and kept Dominican ahead 11-9.

Late in regulation, Drummond scored twice more, for a GCU game-high six, which tied the match at 11-11 with just 1:17 remaining and ultimately forced overtime.

After the Penguins called a timeout to setup the offense, Upson capped off his big day with the game-winning goal.

"This means a ton for the season because we're 3-0 in WILA play and it's our goal to win the championship," said Upson. "Today didn't go the way we planned but I'm proud of how our team was able to stick into the game and even though they [GCU] kept tying it, we were able to pull it out in the end."

Copeland led the Penguins with 13 shot. Little assisted on five of Dominican's goals. Hippensteel led the 'Lopes with 10 shots.

The Penguins begin a four-game road trip within the WILA starting with Mesa State on Friday, April 1. Faceoff is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. Pacific time. In the previous meeting with the Mavericks, Dominican came out with an 11-6 victory on March 20.


Create a free lacrosse website