Bishops Out-Battled by 13th-Ranked Denison

Sophomore attacker Colin Short (Jamesville, N.Y./Jamesville-DeWitt) and sophomore midfielder Drew Scharf (Redding, Conn./Barlow) scored goals that brought Ohio Wesleyan within 4-3 at halftime, but 13th-ranked Denison opened the second half with three straight scores and went on to post a North Coast Athletic Conference win over the Bishops on Saturday.

The Big Red had taken a 3-0 lead after the first quarter, getting goals from Colin Molloy, Emmett Jones, and Davis Lukens while holding the Bishops to one shot during the period.

That changed during the second quarter, with sophomore midfielder Pat Bassett (Naperville, Ill./North) putting the Bishops on the scoreboard. Denison got a goal from Jones midway through the period to increase the lead to 4-1, but Short answered with a score just 25 seconds later. Scharf followed with a spectacular catch-and-shoot goal from close range to bring Ohio Wesleyan within 4-3 with 4:33 left in the half.

Denison opened the second half with a pair of scores from Cory Couture sandwiched around another Jones goal, and after Bassett ended that run, the Big Red tacked on goals from Chapin Speidel, Molloy, and Jones to take a 10-4 lead early in the fourth quarter.

Ohio Wesleyan rallied with a man-up score from junior attacker A.J. Pellis (Edmonton, Alberta/St. Francis Xavier) and another score from Scharf to pull within 10-6 midway through the quarter, but that was as close as the Bishops would come as Tanner Smith scored twice to seal the outcome.

Bassett and Scharf led the Bishops with 2 goals apiece, while freshman midfielder Spencer Schnell (Dublin/Jerome) was credited with 2 assists.

Sophomore Stephen Ford (Worthington/Thomas Worthington) recorded 11 saves.

Jones led Denison with 4 goals. Nick Petracca stopped 3 shots for the Big Red.

* * * *

The No. 13 Big Red outscored Ohio Wesleyan 8-3 in the second half en route to a 12-6 win over the Battling Bishops from Selby Field in Delaware, Ohio. The win was the fifth-straight for Denison in the rivalry which has existed since 1958. It also marked the eighth victory out of the last nine meetings for the Big Red against OWU.

After the two teams failed to score over the opening seven minutes, the Big Red went on a 3-0 run to close out the first quarter of play thanks to goals from Colin Molloy (Stamford, Conn./Fairfield Prep), Emmett Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo./Air Academy) and Davis Lukens (Marietta, Ga./Holy Innocents') off an assist by Alex Hardt (Dallas, Texas/Episcopal).

The second quarter's momentum would belong to the Battling Bishops as they got goals by Pat Bassett, Colin Short and Drew Scharf. In the middle of OWU's three-goal second-quarter, Jones would score off a feed from Kyle Brown (Glenview, Ill./New Trier) which sent the two teams into halftime with DU on top, 5-3.

In the second half, with the game hanging in the balance the Big Red took control from the onset, scoring the first three goals of the quarter. They did so by shooting efficiently while forcing Ohio Wesleyan into five turnovers in the quarter. The Big Red also did a tremendous job of battling for possession, winning a game-high nine ground balls in the third.

Leading 8-4 heading into the fourth quarter, Molloy and Jones would go back-to-back with goals for the second-time this afternoon, pushing DU's lead to six with just over 10 minutes to play. Two goals by the Bishops cut the Denison advantage back to four but senior middie Tanner Smith (Boxford, Mass./Brooks School) put the game away with two scores over the final six minutes of play, setting the final at 12-6.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website