No. 14 Stony Brook Rallies to Edge Hartford

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. Hartford did not have an answer for a barrage of fourth quarter Seawolves' goals and fell to #13 Stony Brook, 10-8, under the lights of Alumni Stadium on Saturday evening. With the loss, Hartford (7-4, 1-1 AE) saw its four-game winning streak come to a halt while suffering its first setback in the America East.

Scoring its third-straight win, Stony Brook (6-3, 2-0) preserves its unblemished record in league play. Junior Robbie Campbell netted four goals and senior Timmy Trenkle added three to lead the visitors to the comeback victory.

Junior attackman Aidan Genik, who returned to the Hawks' line-up after missing three games due to an injury, notched four goals, including a hat trick in the third quarter, and assisted on one to finish with a game-high five points. Sophomore Rory Nunamacher added three points as he scored twice and dished out an assist.

The Hawks saw a 6-3, fourth quarter lead disappear as they were outscored by the Seawolves, 7-2, in the final period. Campbell and Trinkle combined for six of the Seawolves' seven goals during that span with all four of Campbell's tallies coming during that decisive quarter.

Nunamacher put the first tally on the scoreboard in favor of the home team and broke up a 13 minute scoreless deadlock when he connected with Martin Bowes with 1:52 remaining in the opening quarter. Genik doubled the Hawks' lead six minutes into the second quarter before Stony Brook strung together a pair of scores by Kyle Belton and Tom Compitello to tie the game at 2-2 at the end of the first half.

Hartford dominated the third quarter as it outscored its opponents, 4-1, to push its lead to 6-3. Genik's 10th at goal of the season at 11:08 put the Hawks ahead, 3-2, before Trenkle knotted the game at three goals apiece less than one minute later. Hartford reeled off three consecutive scores including two more by Genik and one by junior attackman Carter Bender to take the three-goal advantage, its largest of the game.

Stony Brook opened the fourth with three-straight scores to tie the game for the third time since opening face-off at 6-6. The Hawks regained leads at 7-6 with 12:14 to play and again at 8-7 at the 11:14 minute marks however Stony Brook had an answer each time.

Russ Bonanno knotted the game for the last time at 8-8 with 9:37 remaining before Campbell's third goal gave the visitors its first advantage at 9-8 with 8:15 to play. Campbell scored again with less than five minutes remaining in regulation to give the Seawolves a two-goal lead at 10-8.

Stony Brook held a 36-32 edge in shots however Hartford won 13 of 22 face-offs and won the ground ball battle, 27-22. Rob Camposa improved to 6-3 inside of the cage making nine saves while allowing eight in. Sophomore Frank Piechota dropped to 6-4 on the season, making four saves in the contest.

Hartford takes a break from league play when it hosts Nutmeg State foe Fairfield on Tuesday, April 12. Opening face-off is set for 4:00 p.m.

* * * *

West Hartford, Conn. (April 9, 2011) Junior Robbie Campbell (Delta, British Columbia) scored a career-high four goals and senior Timmy Trenkle (Commack, N.Y.) added three as #14 Stony Brook rallied past Hartford, 10-8, in an America East game.

"I saw a lot open up and got some scoring chances," Campbell said. "Coach put me in on offense and I did what I think I do best."

Campbell scored all four of his goals in the fourth quarter as the Seawolves (6-3, 2-0) outscored the Hawks (7-4, 1-1), 7-1, in the final frame. Campbell, who started every game during his first two years, came off the bench to score all four of his goals unassisted. Trenkle tied his career-high in goals for his second hat trick of the season.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website