#1 Michigan Runs by #24 Missouri to Go 12-0

Ann Arbor, MI #1 Michigan defeated the #24 Missouri Tigers, 26-9, at Oosterbaan Fieldhouse on Saturday night. The Wolverines came out strong, leading the Tigers 8-3 at the end of the first quarter, but Mizzou evened up the play in the second half as U-M led 15-8 after 30 minutes. The Wolverines buckled down in the second, and behind four man-up goals and a defense that allowed only one goal in the final 30 minutes, Michigan improved to 12-0 on the season.

The Wolverines won the opening faceoff and went on to hold possession as the offensive unit settled into place. Two minutes into the first, freshman midfielder Doug Bryant (Princeton, NJ Princeton) found sophomore attackman Thomas Paras (Lakewood, OH St. Ignatius) behind the net finishing with a low shot from the wing. Michigan struck again under a minutes later as junior midfielder Alex Vasileff (Birmingham, MI Seaholm) beat the goaltender with a high shot from the wing on a feed from sophomore midfielder Joe Hrusovsky (Lake Forest, IL Lake Forest).

Senior attackman Chad Carroll (Cincinnati, OH St. Xavier) then rattled off three of his own over a span of three minutes. Carroll's second goal was assisted from senior long-stick midfielder Matt Asperheim (Grand Rapids, MI East Grand Rapids) who fed him on the wing to beat the goalie on a low blast as U-M increased their lead to 5-0 seven minutes in.

Just 14 seconds later, transfer sophomore attackman Ryan Dutton-O'Hara (Mount Airy, MD Urbana St. John's) found the twine on a crease bounce shot after junior defender Austin Swaney (Grand Rapids, MI East Grand Rapids) charged into the offensive zone off a faceoff win to feed him on the wing. Just over a minute later, freshman attackman Jeff Chu (Berwyn, PA Conestoga) scored on a man-up opportunity on an assist from Dutton-O'Hara. The Tigers' responded to the flurry of goals, the first at 6:42 and the next coming two minutes later to cut the lead to 7-2. On the following faceoff, Swaney scored his first of the game as he took it down the field and scored just outside the crease. Mizzou answered with another goal coming from their man up unit just before the end of the first for an 8-3 Wolverine lead after one.

Only two minutes passed in the second quarter before freshman midfielder Jeff Janer (Novi, MI Detroit Catholic Central) assisted senior attackman Trevor Yealy (Pittsburgh, PA Upper St. Clair) on a crease finish as the result of a successful Wolverine clear. The home squad went on to score four more unanswered goals within the next three minutes with tallies going to Dutton-O'Hara, Paras, Yealy and Carroll, with Carroll's fourth coming on the man-up for a 13-3 lead.

Missouri struck back just under a minute later with back-to-back goals in just 17 seconds. Paras responded under a minute later on the crease on an assist from Janer followed by Yealy scoring at 4:47 as he battled through two defenders to score on his way to the ground. The Tigers won the ensuing faceoff and scored just 14 seconds later however, before notching two more before the half to cut the lead to 15-8 after 30 minutes.

As they have all season, senior goaltender Mark Stone (Greenwood Village, CO Cherry Creek) was replaced by senior goaltender Andrew Fowler (Grosse Pointe, MI Hotchkiss, CT) at the start of the second half. It didn't take long for the scoring to start as Carroll netted his fifth goal of the game under thirty seconds after the quarter began. U-M kept their foot on the pedal scoring three more unanswered over the next five minutes, including two on the man-up. Michigan's even-strength goal came on a nice dodge and finish from a tough angle just above the left GLE from senior midfielder Roy Ichikawa (San Diego, CA Torrey Pines).

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website