Catawba Knocks off Mars Hill in Double Overtime

MARS HILL, NC -- For the second straight game Catawba found itself in overtime and for the second time Braden Artem (Acton, Ontario/Christ the King) provided the winner, this time in double overtime, in a 10-9 upset of top-seeded and ninth-ranked Mars Hill in the semifinals of the 2011 Deep South Conference Tournament on Thursday night at Meares Stadium.

The Catawba Indians improve to 11-3 overall and earn a spot in the tournament's championship game against Florida Southern on Sunday afternoon at Saint Leo, FL. The Lions fall to 10-4.

Artem's goal was his third of the night and came after John Scheich (Waxhaw, NC/Weddington HS) picked up a ground ball following a Mars Hill turnover. Scheich fed Artem for the game-winner at the 3:16 mark of the second extra period. The goal capped a tight battle that saw the teams tied on eight occasions.

Catawba enjoyed the only two-goal lead of the night which came early in the second quarter. Mars Hill tallied first at the 12:50 mark of the opening quarter on a goal by Tim Burns. Casey Chinn (Mooresville, NC/Lake Norman HS), who went 13 of 20 on face-offs and grabbed a dozen ground balls on the night, pulled the Indians even at 4:05 of the first quarter.

Cory Losselyong (Lewisville, NC/N. Forsyth HS) and Freddie Turcio (Guilford, CT/Guilford HS) would add a pair of second-quarter tallies to give the Indians a 3-1 edge with 9:23 left in the half. Mars Hill answered on goals by T.J. Cowx and Adam Traynor to pull even at the 2:30 mark. Catawba would get the lead at the break as Artem scored with just 12 seconds to go in the half.

Mars Hill twice produced tying goals in the third quarter, but the goals were answered by Artem and Chinn to keep the Indians on top entering the fourth quarter. Burns pulled the Lions even early in the period then Kile Garrett gave Mars Hill its first lead since the opening goal with 8:29 to go. Chinn would win the ensuing face-off and Losselyong got Catawba even a minute later.

Down 8-7, Trevor Sieracki (Austin, TX/Anderson HS) and Chinn tallied 20 seconds apart to put Catawba back on top with 4:06 remaining. Mars Hill was able to draw an Indian penalty with two minutes remaining and Chris Cudmore cashed in on a man-up goal with 1:35 left. Neither team could score the remainder of the quarter or in the first overtime to set the stage for another dramatic goal for Artem.

Mars Hill held a 33-27 edge in shots, but the Indians had three of the four shots in the extra time. Catawba would hold a 33-23 advantage in ground balls and won 13 of 23 face-offs. Mars Hill converted two goals in four man-up opportunities, while the Indians failed on all nine of its extra-man situations.

Michael Pecchia (Coquitlam, BC/Heritage Woods) recorded 11 saves in goal for the Indians and stopped the lone Mars Hill shot of overtime which came at the end of the first overtime. Dylan Price had seven saves for Mars Hill. Chinn joined Artem with three goals, while Losselyong had a pair. Mars Hill got goals from eight different players with only Burns scoring twice.


Create a free lacrosse website