Union Scores in Final Minute to Edge William Smith

SCHENECTADY, N.Y.-William Smith rallied to take its first lead with 9:26 remaining, but Union's Casey Dianni scored the game-winning goal with 43 seconds left to push the Dutchwomen to an 11-10 win over the Herons in a Liberty League game played this afternoon at Frank Bailey Field.

William Smith is now 5-5 and 3-1 in conference play. Union improves to 7-4 and 5-1 in the Liberty League. Sophomore Kathleen Ragan led the Herons with three goals and one assist. Junior Lucy Johnson registered two goals and two assist as well as a game-highs of 13 ground balls and seven draw controls . Junior Katherine Vesce chipped in two goals. Sophomore Jesse Wilson stopped five shots in all 60 minutes of play.

Melissa Hine led Union with a game-high seven points on two goals and five assists. Chelsea Charette scored three goals and Kristin Joyce added two. Dianni also chipped in an assist, and Kat Egizi picked up nine ground balls and won five draw controls.

Alexis Deeb recorded 10 saves. She came up with just one in the second half, but it was when the Dutchwomen needed it most. The Herons were down by just one when junior Rosie Scheibel fired a shot on goal with 20 seconds left in regulation, but Deeb was there to make the stop.

The Dutchwomen opened the game scoring the first four goals. Charette started things off, finding the back of the net 2:18 in. A little over a minute later, Abby Stohler made it 2-0. Casey Dianni scored Union's third goal 7:35 in. Melissa Hine earned the assist on the first three goals of the game, and then Hine registered a goal of her own to put the Dutchwomen up by four.

With 13:14 left in the opening half, sophomore Marissa Potter put William Smith on the board with an unassisted tally. Just 1:03 later, Ragan cut the Heron deficit in half. With 11:10 on the clock, first-year Hannah Schickel made it 4-3 with her second goal this year.

Union wasn't quiet for long, as 3:16 into the second half, Joyce scored her first goal of the day. The Herons answered just 22 seconds later to cut the deficit back to one, when Vesce fired a shot past the Union keeper. Johnson tied the game on a free position goal 4:55 in. Charette scored back-to-back goals, both off assists from Hine, to make it 7-5. Ragan set up Johnson 9:55 into the period to cut the lead back to one. With 17:38 on the clock, Hine found the back of the net for the second time, and Heather Fraser followed with an unassisted tally to make the score 9-6.

The Herons then rallied to score four straight goals to take their first lead of the game. Ragan started the run with back-to-back goals 41 seconds apart. Johnson set up both goals. With 11:22 on the clock, junior Kathryn Gillan tied the game at nine. Senior Cassie Findlay fed Vesce who put William Smith up 10-9 with 9:26 remaining.

With 6:36 on the clock, Joyce scored the Dutchwomen's first free position goal of the afternoon to tie the game back up at 10. Dianni came through for Union finding the back of the net with just 43 seconds remaining, which proved to be the game-winner.

William Smith held a slight, 26-24 advantage in shots, as well as a 37-27 lead in ground balls. The Herons won 13 draw controls, while Union collected 10. The Dutchwomen were successful on 15 of 17 clear attempts, and William Smith succeeded on nine of 17.

The Herons will be back in action, tomorrow, April 16 when they travel to take on Skidmore in another Liberty League contest beginning at 2:00 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website