Oswego State Drops Heartbreaker to Oneonta

OSWEGO, N.Y. - Oswego State overcame a five-goal deficit after the first quarter, but was unable to hold a late lead as Oneonta's Mike Salerno tallied the game-winning goal with 4.5 seconds remaining in regulation to hand the Lakers a 10-9 loss Saturday in Oswego.

Andy Williams' goal with 4:03 left in the game completed an Oswego State comeback to give the home team its first lead of the game, but the Red Dragons scored the final two goals to escape with the win.

The Lakers sit at 5-7 and 0-4 in the SUNYAC standings, while Oneonta improved to 3-8 and 1-2 in the league. Oswego State hosts Medaille on Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. at South Athletic Field.

The Red Dragons sprinted out of the blocks in the first quarter with two goals scored by Jimmy van de Veerdonk and Mike Salerno in the first five minutes to give Oneonta a 4-0 lead. Salerno added his third goal of the game near the end of the stanza to put the Red Dragons ahead 5-0.

The Lakers regrouped in the second quarter and got on the scoreboard at 3:53 when Adam Jean found Mark Briggs open for his 14th marker of the season. Brett Sarubbi posted Oswego State's second goal midway through the stanza before John DeOrdio gave Oneonta a 6-2 advantage. Before the end of the half, Casey Balzer cut the deficit to three to give the Lakers momentum heading into intermission.

Oswego State continued to whittle away at the Red Dragons' lead in the third quarter with both goals coming from Chris Porten, including a one-timed shot after a Balzer pass from behind the net, to make the score 6-5.

The Lakers won the opening face-off to start the fourth quarter with Balzer extending his hot hand by scoring two goals, including a man-up goal that was assisted by Andy Lever, to give Oswego State its first lead of the game at 7-6 with 11:44 to play. Two minutes later, Oneonta responded with two Brian Kollar goals to give the Red Dragons an 8-7 edge and 8:39 remaining on the clock.

Britt Leone ripped a long-range shot that found the back of the net to tie the game with his 12th goal of the year. With four minutes left in the game, Porten found Andy Williams streaking towards the net. Williams' shot was right on target to give the Lakers at 9-8 lead. However, van de Veerdonk knotted the score yet again with 1:57 to play in regulation.

Balzer won the ensuing face-off to give Oswego State control of the ball. Oneonta was whistled for a penalty with under a minute to play, but a Laker turnover gave the Red Dragons possession with 22 seconds remaining. After a timeout, van de Veerdonk brought the ball quickly up field and found Salerno for the game-winning goal with 4.5 seconds on the scoreboard.

Oswego State's Ian O'Brien made nine saves in the losing effort, while his counterpart Sean Reynolds made eight saves. Both squads were even in nearly every statistical category, but Oneonta owned a 16-7 advantage in face-offs.


Create a free lacrosse website