St. Mary's Advances by York to CAC Semifinals

York, Pa. Senior attackman Dennis Rosson (Severna Park, Md./Severn) had another solid effort for the Seahawks, and St. Mary's tallied 11 second-half goals en route to a convincing 14-9 victory over No. 4 seed York in the first round of the 2011 CAC tournament.

Rosson fired off a game-high five goals and added an assist as fourth-seeded St. Mary's avenged its 7-4 loss to York from March 30th and now advances to the CAC semifinals on Wednesday, April 20th to face top-seeded Stevenson University (15-1) in Owings Mills at 4:00 pm.

The Seahawks (6-8) received stellar production from sophomore Albert Mitchell (Shrewsbury, Mass./Saint John's) at face-off X as Mitchell was 18 of 25 in face-offs, helping the team to 19 of 26 for the game. Mitchell scooped up a career-high 14 ground balls as St. Mary's dominated loose ball pickups, 43 to 25.

York (10-6) edged the Seahawks, 3-2, in the first period as senior attackman Josh Gamble (Easton, Md./Easton) scored two goals in a span of 2:14 to overcome a 2-1 deficit.

Second quarter scoring occurred in the last five minutes of the half as junior midfielder Marcus Coppola (Bel Air, Md./C. Milton Wright) gave the Spartans a two-goal lead at 5:07. Rosson cut the lead to one with an unassisted goal 47 seconds but junior attacker B.J. Blaker (West Chester, Pa./West Chester Henderson) notched an unassisted goal of his own at 2:28 to give York a 5-3 halftime advantage.

The Seahawks came alive in the second half, outscoring York, 5-2, in the third stanza. Mitchell scored his first goal of the season just 21 seconds into the start of the second half to set the tone. Rosson followed suit at 12:51 with his third unassisted goal of the day to even up the game before Gamble found the back of the net for the Spartans.

Rosson then tallied a goal and assist in a 3-0 run as St. Mary's staked its second lead of the game, 8-6, at 5:57. First-year Justin Aita (Salisbury, Md./Parkside) broke through with a minute left in the quarter to pull his squad within one.

The fourth period opened up with two Seahawk goals before Aita struck again. However, St. Mary's put the game away with four unanswered goals to claim a 14-8 lead with 1:54 remaining in the game. York's final tally came with 39 seconds on the clock.

St. Mary's outshot the hosts, 51-32, while junior LSM Peter Windsor (Towson, Md./St. Paul's School) contributed a game-high three caused turnovers and two ground balls on the defensive end.

In goal, junior Stu Wheeler (Baltimore, Md./St. Paul's School) started the game and picked up two saves and two ground balls in the first half while senior Pat Simpson (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) registered the win with seven stops and one ground ball in the second half.


Create a free lacrosse website