Falcons Grounded at Home vs. Ohio State

USAFA, Colo. Shut out in the opening half, the Air Force lacrosse team dropped an 8-4 decision to ECAC rival Ohio State Sunday evening in Falcon Stadium. With the loss, the Falcons fall to 4-7 overall on the season, 2-3 in the ECAC, while the Buckeyes improve to 7-6 overall, 2-2 in the league.

The opening period was a defensive battle, with Ohio State scoring the first and only goal with just over four minutes to play in the quarter. However, the Buckeyes extended their advantage with two more goals in the first five minutes of the second period, while taking a 4-0 lead midway through the quarter. Ohio State tacked on another goal with just two seconds on the clock to earn a 5-0 advantage at the half.

Ohio State's Logan Schuss tallied his third goal of the game with 10:54 remaining in the third period to give the Buckeyes a 6-0 advantage. Air Force finally broke its scoring drought when sophomore Pat Harrison (Annapolis, Md.) tallied his first career goal on a man-up opportunity with 6:07 on the clock. The Falcons added another goal with just over a minute remaining in the period as Vinny Sandtorv (Sr., Centereach, N.Y.) scored on an assist from Tommy McKee (Fr., Holt, Mich.).

Another score by the Buckeyes in the early minutes of the final period put them back up by five goals, while they matched their largest lead of the game after tallying a goal with less than three minutes remaining. Air Force got back on the board at the 1:04 mark with a man-up goal from Jacob Podolnick (Fr., Flanders, N.J.), while Sandtorv added another score just six seconds later after a face-off win by freshman Erik Smith (Golden, Colo.). However, it proved to be the final goal of the game in the Falcons' 8-4 loss.

Air Force outshot Ohio State, 38-25, for the game, but had just 11 shots on goal, compared to 15 for the Buckeyes. Ohio State also held an advantage on face-offs, winning 11 of 16 for the contest. In addition, the Falcons, who did not commit any penalties, finished 2 of 4 on their man-up opportunities.

The Falcons are back in action next weekend, April 23, when they host Presbyterian in a non-conference match-up.

* * * *

COLUMBUS, Ohio Ohio State jumped out to a 5-0 lead at halftime en route to an 8-4 win over Air Force Sunday night in USAFA, Colo., in an ECAC Lacrosse League game. Ohio State is now 7-6 on the year and stands 2-2 in conference play. The Falcons drop to 4-7 overall and 2-3 in the league.

Ohio State will return to action at 11:00 a.m. Saturday when it hosts Fairfield in the fourth-annual Showdown in the Shoe. The ECAC Lacrosse League matchup, held prior to the Buckeye football team's spring game in Ohio Stadium, will be televised live on Big Ten Network.

Against the Falcons, the Buckeyes led 1-0 after the first quarter and 5-0 at halftime. The squad extended the lead to 6-0 before the Falcons were able to end a scoreless streak of 38:53 with a third-quarter tally. Air Force added one more goal in the third for a 6-2 Ohio State lead after 45 minutes. Each team scored twice in the fourth quarter, with the Falcons' goals coming in the final 1:08, for the 8-2 Buckeye victory.

For the Buckeyes, sophomore Logan Schuss had a hat trick and added an assist for a team-best four points, extending his point streak to 27. Freshman Tyler Frederick scored two goals and had an assist for a three-point night. Senior Paul Beery and sophomores Jeff Tundo and Dominique Alexander each had a goal and an assist in the win. Freshman Shawn Kaplan won 10 of 14 faceoffs against Air Force and had five groundballs to tie junior Keenan Ochwat for the team game high. Freshman goalie Greg Dutton had seven saves while allowing just four goals.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website