William Smith Outgunned by the Bombers

GENEVA, N.Y. - Ithaca College started off a 6-0 run 13 minutes, 53 seconds into the first half to take control of the game, and went on to defeat William Smith 14-8 in a non-conference contest played today on Boswell Field at the Caird Center for Sports and Recreation.

The Herons are now 5-7 overall, while the Bombers improve their season mark to 9-4. Nicole Borisenok scored a game-high five goals and added an assist to lead Ithaca. Ali DeCirce chipped in four goals. Tracy Rivas and Katie Hurley logged two goals and two assists apiece. Abby Peterson picked up a team-high four ground balls, and Michelle Avery caused four turnovers. Jess Worthman turned aside seven shots to earn the win.

Junior Lucy Johnson led the Heron effort with three goals and two assists. Junior Callie Frelinghuysen registered two assists and caused a team-high four turnovers. Five other William Smith players recorded one goal. Sophomore Marissa Potter scooped up a team-high three ground balls. Sophomore Jesse Wilson stopped a season-high 16 shots in all 60 minutes in goal.

The opening 10 minutes of the game saw each team trading goals. The Herons started things off with a goal by junior Kathryn Gillan at 2:31. Hurley scored the first Bombers goal just 35 seconds later. Potter answered 11 seconds later to make it 2-1 with a free position tally. DeCirce tied up the game for a second time at 5:53. Ten minutes into the period Frelinghuysen fed Scheibel to make it 3-2.

The Bombers then took over the scoring, recording six straight goals to take an 8-3 lead. Borisenok started off the run at 13:53. She recorded four goals in the spurt. DeCirce and Rivas scored the other two goals. Rivas was also credited with an assist.

With 2:14 left in the opening half, Johnson logged her second goal of the day to make it 8-4. Sophomore Emily Leahy found the back of the net with just 34 seconds left on the clock to cut the William Smith deficit to three at the break.

Sophomore Katie Dexter scored just 2:14 into the second half to get the Herons within two at 8-6. Hurley fired into the back of the net 27 seconds later. Johnson capitalized on a free position to make it 9-7, but that was as close as William Smith could get.

The Bombers went on a 5-0 run to make it 14-7. Nikki Dahl took a pass from Avery and scored at 7:05. DeCirce followed with a free position goal, and then Borisenok, DeCirce, and Rivas all recorded unassisted tallies. Johnson was able to fire a shot past Worthman with 45 seconds remaining for the final.

Ithaca enjoyed a 36-20 advantage in shots. Both teams scooped up 15 ground balls apiece. The Bombers won 14 draw controls, while the Herons came up with 10. Each team was successful on 19 out of 23 clear attempts.

William Smith will be back in action on Friday, April 22, when the Herons travel to No. 2 Hamilton for a Liberty League game beginning at 4:00 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website