Manhattan Drops Overtime Heartbreaker to Marist

RIVERDALE, N.Y. Marist attacker Jim Marks scored with 3:45 remaining in the first overtime, and Manhattan fell in heartbreaking fashion to the Red Foxes 8-7 Saturday afternoon at Gaelic Park.

A crucial Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference matchup with postseason implications on the line, the Jaspers (3-12, 2-3 MAAC) held advantages of 3-0 and 7-4 throughout the game but surrendered two goals late to Marist (6-6, 3-2 MAAC) in missing an opportunity to seal a playoff birth.

For the Jaspers, senior attacker Kelly Mahon (Spring Lake, N.J./Manasquan) picked up a hat trick while sophomore midfielder Tyler Jarvis (O'Fallon, Mo./Ft. Zumwalt West) added three goals and an assist for a game-high four points. Spreading out the scoring, Marist picked up eight goals from seven different players, including two from Marks.

One of the more physically grinding contests of the season, the game consisted of 14 penalties compared to 15 goals in 60 minutes of action.

Setting the tone early, Manhattan came out with a vengeance in the opening quarter. Mahon got the action started when he scored an even goal at the 7:51 mark to make it 1-0 Jaspers. Less than six minutes later, Jarvis notched a goal on an unassisted tally to push the advantage to 2-0. Ending the scoring in the first 15 minutes, redshirt freshman attacker Brian McGrath (Garden City, N.Y./Carey) found the back of the net to give Manhattan a 3-0 advantage with 1:46 remaining.

Evening the score, the Red Foxed rallied for three straight tallies of their own to tie the game at 3-all with 10:38 left in the first half. Marks cut the deficit to 3-1 at the 1:18 ledger of the first before Corey Zindel made it 3-2 with 21 seconds remaining in the quarter. Beginning the action in the second quarter, Connor Rice tied the contest at 3-3 when he picked up his first goal on an assist from Zindel.

Answering back before half, Mahon and Jarvis combined for two of the final three goals to give the Jaspers a 6-4 lead heading into the break. Mahon begin the scoring with back-to-back goals in both the even and man-up variety to give the Jaspers a 5-3 advantage with 5:00 left in the second. After Marist cut it to 5-4, Jarvis notched an unassisted goal to pad Manhattan's advantage to two after 30 minutes.

In the third quarter, Jarvis continued his big day with his second unassisted tally to make it 7-4 Manhattan with 10:28 left in the quarter. However, it would be the last goal for the Jaspers on the afternoon. Marist seemingly capitalized on all of their scoring opportunities in the final 25 minutes of play in coming back to stun Manhattan.

Attacker Morgan Faller trimmed the deficit to 7-5 with a goal at 3:48 remaining in the third before Kevin Dondero and Bob Von Hoffman put in two scores at 11:08 and 3:41 of the final quarter to send the game into overtime.

With Manhattan down a man heading into the four-minute extra quarter, the Red Foxes took advantage. Starting with the ball in the attacking zone, Marist attacked the front of the net and after an initial shot was stopped in front, Rice found the rebound and passed it to Marks in front of the cage for the game-winning score.

Between the pipes, Brendan Price made five saves to record the victory. Jaspers senior goalkeeper Matt Solomito (Holtsville, N.Y./Sachem) logged 10 saves in the tough defeat.

Overall, the Red Foxes led the way in shots (32-25), clears (16-13) and face-offs (10-8), while Manhattan held advantages in ground balls (25-18). Each team scored twice on man-up opportunities.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website