Denison Holds off Wooster to Earn #1 NCAC Seed

Denison held off a hard-charging Wooster squad over the closing minutes of the contest to improve to 6-0 in the NCAC, assuring the Big Red the No. 1 seed in next week's tournament. After leading 7-3 at halftime, the Big Red hung on for a 10-9 victory from Deeds Field-Piper Stadium.

After the Fighting Scots got out to a 2-0 lead the Big Red fought back with four straight goals to take a 4-2 lead. With 10:50 left in the first half, Wooster's Clare Nelson-Johnson scored a unassisted goal to trim the lead to 4-3.

That would spark a four-goal run by DU powered by two goals from Alex Thurner (Cincinnati, Ohio/Summit Country Day), one goal from Olivia Shiland (South Hamilton, Mass./Hamilton-Wenham) and one from Phoebe Myhrum (Pittsburgh, Pa./Shady Side Academy). That sent the Big Red into the second half with all of the momentum but Wooster did their best to get back into the game early in the second half by winning draws and forcing Denison turnovers.

Madison Carey and Nina Dine would each score twice in the opening 10 minutes of the half, tying the game at 7-7.

After Carey's goal with20:16 left, Denison's Carly Tschantz (Omaha, Neb./New Trier[Ill.]) won the draw and scored without a pass, to put DU up 8-7. The score would stay that way for the next five minutes until Wooster's Emily Meyer dodged four DU defenders to get one-on-one with Denison goalie Grace Bodemann (Pelham Manor, N.Y./Pelham Memorial). Once she got free, Mayer sent a shot over the right shoulder of Bodenmann, tying the game at 8-8 with 15:41 left.

Two minutes later the Scots would take their first lead since the opening minutes of the game when Eileen Barrer scored on a second-chance opportunity after a Wooster time out. The Scots would win the ensuing draw but a turnover by Dine would lead to a fast break attempt for the Big Red.

With the ball in space, Denison's Lulu Carter (Greenwich, Conn./The Millbrook School) found Myhrum who got the ball to Jenny Strathern (Worthington, Ohio/Thomas Worthington) for the transition goal with 11:45 left, tying the game at 9-9.

Wooster would secure possession following the draw and Carey got an excellent look but clanged a shot off the post on an 8-meter attempt and the ground ball would be scooped up by Tschantz. After a successful clear, DU failed to convert an 8-meter attempt but the Scots would turn the ball over and Molly Cornbrooks (Baltimore, Md./Roland Park Country Day) was there to gain possession and fire a bullet pass to Strathern who finished off what would be the game-winning goal with 6:28 to play.

Over the next two minutes the intensity picked up and play got a little sloppy as both teams would combine for seven turnovers. Wooster's best chance to score came when Carey broke free for an open shot on Bodenmann. Carey went low and the DU goalie was there for the save. Over the final 2:10 Denison successfully played keep-away from the Scots defense to lock up the victory.

Denison got three goals and two assists from Strathern and two goals and three assists from Myhrum. Thurner added trhee goals on four shots while Shiland added one goal and one assists.

Tschantz led the way with five draws as Denison won that battle 14-7. Ten players had at least one ground ball but the team was led by Bodenmann's three. The team caused 12 Wooster turnovers and Alyssa Zinsser (Lebanon, Pa./Cedar Crest) was behind four of those. At goalie, Bodenmann posted seven saves while Wooster's netminder, Shawna Ferris turned in 12 saves.

Wooster was led in scoring by Carey and Dine who each scored three goals.

The victory runs Denison's winning streak to eight games, which is the longest streak at DU since the 2001 season. This also marks the first undefeated NCAC regular season for the Big Red since 2005.


Create a free lacrosse website