Connecticut College Falls to Colby in Overtime

HARTFORD, Conn. - John Jennings (Danvers, Mass.) scored with 1:40 remaining in overtime Saturday to lift Colby to an 8-7 victory against Connecticut College in a NESCAC game that was moved to Trinity College.

Jennings and Ian Deveau (Portsmouth, R.I.) both finished with two goals and two assists to lead the Mules, who battled back from a 5-3 deficit in the third quarter.

Greg McKillop (Washington, D.C.) chipped in with two goals and a game-best eight ground balls for Colby. Peter Reiley (Marblehead, Mass.) finished with three saves in the win.

Connecticut College sophomore John Lyons (Barrington, R.I.) scored with 1:07 remaining in regulation to send the game to overtime and finished with a goal and an assist for the Camels. Seniors Mark Mangano (Basking Ridge, N.J.) and Eric Doran (Pennington, N.J.) both contributed scores in what was scored officially as their final home game.

Nick Rodricks (Baltimore, Md.) collected five ground balls and junior net-minder John Lenehan (Hingham, Mass.) turned in another stellar effort between the pipes, finishing with 11 saves in the setback.

Both teams have qualified for the 2011 NESCAC Championship Tournament. Quarterfinal match ups will be played on the campus of the top four seeds next Sunday, May 1.

Jennings vaulted the Mules out to a 3-1 advantage with his goal at 8:27 of the second quarter. But the Camels battled back, scoring the final two goals of the half. Danny Morici (Manhasset, N.Y.) supplied the equalizer with 19 seconds left.

In the third quarter, the Camels erupted with two quick scoring strikes in the opening minute to build a 5-3 advantage. Mangano scored on a feed from Lyons and Chuck Czerkawski (Cohasset, Mass.) won a face-off and sprinted straight to the cage for an unassisted marker with 14:14 left.

However, Colby answered when McKillop scored on a feed from Jennings with 1:51 remaining and the Camels lead was trimmed to 5-4 as they headed for the final 15 minutes of regulation.

The teams traded goals but Colby forged a 6-6 tie when Deveau rifled one home with 4:51 remaining. With 3:34 to play, Deveau assisted Derrick Flahive (Littleton, Colo.) and the Mules were back on top with a 7-6 advantage.

But Rodricks was able to secure a critical ground ball that set the stage for Lyons' game tying goal with 1:07 remaining.

In the overtime, Colby was able to induce a turnover that set up a 2-on-1 unsettled situation. Jennings fired one home from point blank range to close out the victory.


Create a free lacrosse website